M.e.e. Guarding food dish

Morob7

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans, LA
Today when I fed my two Mees, I put a piece of sweet potato on top of some collard greens in two dishes. I usually try to feed them separately to avoid competition for food. After putting their food out, I walked away for a few minutes. Well Delilah ate her collard greens first and decided to go get some of Leo's greens. When I got back, Leo had crawled on top of his dish as if to keep Delilah away and was looking over his shoulder at her to see if she made a move towards his food. I gave Delilah some more greens and she left Leo alone.

Is this common behavior for Mees?

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Not at all with my group of four. They are perfectly content to bury all their faces in the same plate of food with not a care, no matter if it be their favorite food item or just greens.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
@Yvonne G what do you have to say about this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's not limited to a species. Almost all species will do this. Some even poop and pee on it before anyone else can eat it.

Morob7

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
I hope that doesn't mean they come back and eat it after they've done that. :eek:

kevin mccarty

I hope that doesn't mean they come back and eat it after they've done that. :eek:
hey hello....new to the forum and found your avatar pic is what looks like a blk mtn tort..? wondering if you have some insight on where I could get one of these torts ? thanks

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Not at all with my group of four. They are perfectly content to bury all their faces in the same plate of food with not a care, no matter if it be their favorite food item or just greens.

Same with mine.......