Lungs? Does this look right?

Layla

10 Year Member!
This is Tortie, she's about 5 years old and I've noticed lately that her lungs (at least that's what I think they are) are red and puffy looking. Is this normal? Does she need to see a Vet? She's been eating less but I think its because of the time of year. She still loves to get out and "play" with our cat every night and seems healthy.

Thanks for any advice!

IMG_20161218_135352878_HDR.jpg 2016-12-18 13.53.51.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
My reds have the same sorts of lumps when they are breathing, but when they are going about their day they aren't so pronounced.

Does the swelling go away when she's just going about her day? Are they soft or hard? Any whistling or gurgling?

Also tell us about her enclosure, is it open or closed, whats the temperature and humidity?

hopefully we can troubleshoot for you!

Layla

10 Year Member!
I don't really know a tortoise's anatomy, but I don't think what you're seeing is his lungs. I think he needs to see a qualified tortoise vet.
Thank you, Yvonne. Someone told me those where the lungs which I thought was odd. I will take her to the Vet.

Layla

10 Year Member!
My reds have the same sorts of lumps when they are breathing, but when they are going about their day they aren't so pronounced.

Does the swelling go away when she's just going about her day? Are they soft or hard? Any whistling or gurgling?

Also tell us about her enclosure, is it open or closed, whats the temperature and humidity?

hopefully we can troubleshoot for you!

Thanks for answering! There is no whistling or gurgling. Her enclosure has one area that is enclosed and the other is open but covered with a sheet of clear platic that her UV lamp sits on top of. I have a hard time keeping the humidity up but the tempature in most of it is in the upper 70's. She seems to prefer being in the cooler spots to sleep (in the enclosed end).

Layla

10 Year Member!
Looks like edema. I second the suggestion of a vet. Fluid retention issues can have multiple causes and blood work will likely be required to determine what is going on here.
Looks like edema. I second the suggestion of a vet. Fluid retention issues can have multiple causes and blood work will likely be required to determine what is going on here.

Thanks, Sarah. I will call my Vet tomorrow and get he in.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
In the mean time warm her up! She should have temperatures of at least 80. I keep mine around 83, a lot of people shoot for 86. Humidity without enough heat can cause troubles.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I may be misunderstanding, but is there a plastic sheet between the UVB lamp and tortoise? If so, you are likely losing all of your UVB. It's readily filtered by glass and plastic. The lights only work if nothing is between them and the tortoise.

I also second the raising your temperatures. No lower than 80F anywhere day or night - it's especially important if illness is suspected. Daily soaks in warm water for ~30 minutes to ensure hydration are also important right now.