Lowe's Cypress Mulch For Young Hermann?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HermannMan77

5 Year Member
I was using Aspen Snake Bedding in my indoor enclosure but it's sooooo expensive I decided to switch to Cypress mulch after reading some of the posts on this site. I'm a little worried with a young Hermann (1.5 years) that the mulch is a little to sharp and jagged for him. Is this a valid concern? Will he hurt himself burrowing in the jagged cypress mulch or am I just being overly worried for nothing?

Thanks for the help! :tort:

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
I have my 2 year old redfoot on cypress mixed with peat moss and organic topsoil. She's had no issues with it or injuries.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Go to Lowes and get the peat moss (9 yards for $10) and use it with the cypress on top. Mine love it and it is mildew resistant so when you clean the pen, you don't have to throw it all away!

HermannMan77

5 Year Member
Saleama said:
Go to Lowes and get the peat moss (9 yards for $10) and use it with the cypress on top. Mine love it and it is mildew resistant so when you clean the pen, you don't have to throw it all away!

Ok, I'll get some Peat Moss and give it a shot, I was just concerned that the Cypress mulch seemed very harsh and jagged compared to the aspen snake bedding I had been using. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
A better substrate for a young developing Hermann's tortoise is organic potting or top soil. Either as 100% or as 70% soil and 30% coconut coir. Maintained at about 2" deep and kept semi-moist (not wet) it is an excellent substrate for young tortoises. It maintains moisture well while being firm on top for good footing and still soft enough for the tortoise to dig into. Cypress alone is okay for larger tortoises. But it alone does not hold moisture well enough and is too coarse for young tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.