Lots of photos of my red foot pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATXTortoises

5 Year Member
I recently lost my Leopard tortoise when he ate a bunch of gravel and did not respond to anything my vet and I threw at him. He shared a partitioned space out in the garden with my red foot, but since he's gone I just opened up the whole thing for him.

The red foot is a cherry head that was given to me by a friend who had rescued it from her niece who did an okay job raising him. He's got some pyramiding but otherwise is healthy. Here is the run.
photo (2).JPG

photo (3).JPG

photo (4).JPG

photo (5).JPG

I'm in Austin and thanks to Kelly Hull (tortadise) who suggested I get some irrigation going, I have this setup which works very well. I plan to extend it the length of the pen.
photo (6).JPG
photo (7).JPG

The only thing left to do is build an insulated house for the mild winters here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
The black tube, is it a mister tube? And the contraption attached to the water pipe, a timer?

Can you explain that more? I'd love to know details. Thx

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

ATXTortoises

5 Year Member
photo (8).JPG

I took another pic in better light and from the other side. So the green thing is a timer which I set to go off for 5 minutes about 4 times a day. Here in Austin it is crazy hot so I want to keep part of the pen wet like the forest floor. The next thing inline is a pressure regulator. They're only a couple bucks but you need one. The black tubing is drip irrigation with quick connect elbows and the little blue things in the other photo are the mister bits which you punch right into the hose.

Drip irrigation is kind of like the mattress industry, opaque and frustrating. There are 3 manufacturers in the game and most do not interchange with the other. I used 1/2" tubing, but each manufacturer has a different inside/outside diameter for the tubing. So what I do is just order online with Amazon and stick with Orbit. Timers Plus is a great supplier

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002R5G3L6/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.