Lost Baby Sulcata in Yard

Snow Kang

I just got a 3 month old baby Sulcata and it's absolutely tiny at the moment. I also have a red foot, and today as I was feeding the red foot a piece of banana, I let the Sulcata wander behind me. When I turned around, the Sulcata was no where to be seen. I live in Florida and its 84 degrees out and humid so should I search in the shaded areas? Also, if my Sulcata is currently 3 months old, is it safe to say it isnt digging yet ? I'm really really paranoid. Should I put food out and water ? It is also very bright out now so could it be constantly moving? Thank you for your help.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Crawl and feel with hands. Yes, look even under everything. They blend in way to well to just look for it, you really need to feel. Then get a kiddie pool or some kind of enclousre to let him enjoy the outside in. Otherwise they have tortoise cozies that you might want to get, so they are much easier to find. Good luck.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Get down on you hands and knees and crawl. Look under any plants, shrubs or in flower beds and dig a little near the roots of any plants. Crawl all along the fence. Good luck and keep us posted. Any little nooks and cranny's that looks like a place to hide.

Snow Kang

do any of you know how far it may have walked ? once again, it's only 3 months old. what's a reasonable perimeter to search in?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It is amazing how fast they are. I would search on hands and knees in a circle pattern outward from where you last saw him. Good luck. I hope you find him.

Shua71

Good chance it went very far... Look everywhere until you find it. As others have said they blend in very well. From experience they usually find something to corner up against or hide under to feel safe

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
At that size, birds will carry them off.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Given enough time, it could walk a mile or more.

You are correct. They usually do not dig at this size. They will sometimes scrape out a little palette to settle into though.

It is most likely hiding in a clump of grass or weeds in your yard. Look around the the bases of all the shrubs and weed clumps. Also look in the leaf piles.

This might help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Snow Kang

GUYS THE TORTOISE WAS FOUND! :) we got very lucky. it rained for the first time in weeks, and so the tortoise crawled under the shade provided by our patio overhead. this morning, we found him very close to where we lost him on the edge of where the grass begins, even though he was definitely not there yesterday (we searched in a circle pattern rotating from the place where we last saw him last night.) So so happy and relieved. thank you all for your advice and concern :) We will be much more careful in the future with this little guy!

Snow Kang

Given enough time, it could walk a mile or more.

You are correct. They usually do not dig at this size. They will sometimes scrape out a little palette to settle into though.

It is most likely hiding in a clump of grass or weeds in your yard. Look around the the bases of all the shrubs and weed clumps. Also look in the leaf piles.

This might help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
thank you so so much ! :) will be sure to check it out!