Looking for 2 healthy baby russians or sulcatas on oahu

Chance B

Location (City and/or State)
Oahu, Hawaii
Hi I am looking to buy 2 hatchlings. I am located on oahu, I already have a set up waiting for them? Please contact me.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. That is totally opposite ends of the size scale, russians and Sulcatas. They both require lots of room, even though the russians will stay much smaller they cover a lot of ground in the wild. Good luck.

Chance B

Oahu, Hawaii
Aloha all,

Ya I have done tons a research and I am no stranger to reptiles I have had chameleons and dart frogs. Unfortunately I am not as lucky with availability with them here due to laws. But I am in search of a breeder here on oahu. I know I could order from a breeder on the mainland but it would save me a whole lot of time and money. Could a breeder in hawaii chime in if possible?

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Aloha all,

Ya I have done tons a research and I am no stranger to reptiles I have had chameleons and dart frogs. Unfortunately I am not as lucky with availability with them here due to laws. But I am in search of a breeder here on oahu. I know I could order from a breeder on the mainland but it would save me a whole lot of time and money. Could a breeder in hawaii chime in if possible?
have you checked craigslist for tortoises for sale? i have no idea on Hawaii laws.

Chance B

Oahu, Hawaii
welcome to the forum! when you get your new tortoises make sure they are housed separately because if 2 tortoises are kept together they will try to kill each other. tortoises are territorial creatures that don't enjoy the company of other tortoises.
Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Really, I see many other tortoise owners house them together, (the same species that is) I am guessing its a male to female type of ratio. However, I hear that indian star tortoises are friendly to one another? Is this statement true from an experience owner?

Chance B

Oahu, Hawaii
have you checked craigslist for tortoises for sale? i have no idea on Hawaii laws.
Ya I have, lol I have been searching a lot latley. Its because my baby sulcata died the other night due to hatchling failure syndrome. I have been very sad the past couple days and I did everything that could possibly be done, vet shots, baby food soaking etc.. This is the reason for this thread. But Hawaii's laws are to restrictive for tortoises, the process is basically acquire a permit $20, then buy your tortoise from a breeder online( $$). Then that breeder needs to get a health screening for that critter. $100. Finally, the shipping cost $100. So it can very troublesome due to added on fees.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,
Is this statement true from an experience owner?

The original statement was a little different, but yes it did originally come from an experienced owner.

Pairs do not usually work well. Age, size and sex don't matter. Groups of 3 or more tend to do just fine, singles do best, but pairs usually have problems. Especially with russians and sulcatas. If you want a pair, just house each of them in their own enclosure.

Here is more explanation:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/bad-day-for-baby.114328/