"Lizard" questions

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
You guys know lizards, I don't.....pretty simple. I had a Basilisk that got eaten by my 3' caiman(I had thought he would outrun it- he didn't) and I had 2-3' iguana that I let free roam for a couple of years but a girlfriend of the week opened the window in the house I rented and he escaped. That's how much I know about lizards. Some of these are kind of odd but I'm seeing what looks like odd behavior for reptiles.

1. Will lizards eat till they get sick like a puppy or do they get full and stop?

2. Do lizards poop in the same place every day?

3. Do they have "memory"?

4. Do lizards go out of their way to get you to notice them?

5. Do all lizards move like a 1935 stop-action film?

If you feel like answering only one, that's cool.....I am just curious but not quite curious enough to dive into the internet of things.....lol

thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
From lizards I have owned, I would have to answer No to all your questions except number 3.
My captive lizards eat but not all that's fed.
They pooped all over their enclosure.
They usually just stayed still if they seen people or once they got used to the human movement, they just watched.
My Chameleons move like a stop action film, if l have the movement in those films correct, the rest of mine, bearded and uromastyx move quite quickly majority of the time.
As for memory, I think they do, but have no real knowledge of any studies or proof.
Now, is the answers the same for wild lizards or all lizards? Definitely not all lizards. Wild may be totally different.
That's my opinion of what I have observed in my own captive lizards.

EricW

Houston, TX
It really depends on the lizard. They go from basic/dumb (Anole), to fairly intelligent (Varanids).

1) depends, most will stop. Get full enough that they would let their prey chew on them if you leave the prey inside the enclosure with not food for them.

2) Most do not, but Leopard Geckos do and I am sure there are a few others such as African Fat Tails. By in large, no. And they love to do it water and walk all through it like tortoises.

3) The level of memory is similar to #1. However, most all at least learn to associate you with food.

4) Some do such as varanids, blue tongue skinks, bearded dragons, etc. Mostly to get out of their enclosure so they can roam. So I wouldn't say like a dog or cat would. Some varanids will come for a scratch or rub. I am not as up to speed on varanids though.

5) Depends on the type. Some are slow, some move slow but can be fast if they want to, others are like on crack most of the time except when basking.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You guys know lizards, I don't.....pretty simple. I had a Basilisk that got eaten by my 3' caiman(I had thought he would outrun it- he didn't) and I had 2-3' iguana that I let free roam for a couple of years but a girlfriend of the week opened the window in the house I rented and he escaped. That's how much I know about lizards. Some of these are kind of odd but I'm seeing what looks like odd behavior for reptiles.

1. Will lizards eat till they get sick like a puppy or do they get full and stop?

2. Do lizards poop in the same place every day?

3. Do they have "memory"?

4. Do lizards go out of their way to get you to notice them?

5. Do all lizards move like a 1935 stop-action film?

If you feel like answering only one, that's cool.....I am just curious but not quite curious enough to dive into the internet of things.....lol

thanks!
1. They will stop, but too much of the wrong foods can still block them up.
2. Sometimes. Many variables, but many of my wild local lizards have regular toilet areas.
3. Yes. 100%. No doubt.
4. No. They usually want to hide from view. Once they recognize you as a provider of easy meals, because they REMEMBER previous interactions with you, and also recognize you compared to other humans, then they may expose themselves and "beg" for free food.
5. No. This is very species dependent. :)

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Well thanks guys, those were easy answers and I really appreciate you all taking the time to teach me.

The big skink that I have been feeding and his buddy Halfazz have been doing some odd things.

The large one poops behind my deck chair....every day! There are at least 4-5 "piles" and it rained a few days ago!

The large one will seemingly eat forever.....had Tom not warned me of the danger with exclusive feeding of mealworms, my guess is he would be up to 20 at a time.

I asked about memory because I've lived in this home nearly 18 yrs and never saw the deliberate parading in front of my glass door that they are doing daily, once they see I'm home. I left a trailcam out there and they act like "normal lizards" till I get home, they must hear me in the home because their actions changed in time with me getting home. They begin facing the door, walking around on their side of it....checking back at the glass.

The large skink moves with micromovements, 1000's of them with every foot traveled.....while the younger one seems to move more fluidly.....it's wild with slomo video!

Thanks again guys!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well thanks guys, those were easy answers and I really appreciate you all taking the time to teach me.

The big skink that I have been feeding and his buddy Halfazz have been doing some odd things.

The large one poops behind my deck chair....every day! There are at least 4-5 "piles" and it rained a few days ago!

The large one will seemingly eat forever.....had Tom not warned me of the danger with exclusive feeding of mealworms, my guess is he would be up to 20 at a time.

I asked about memory because I've lived in this home nearly 18 yrs and never saw the deliberate parading in front of my glass door that they are doing daily, once they see I'm home. I left a trailcam out there and they act like "normal lizards" till I get home, they must hear me in the home because their actions changed in time with me getting home. They begin facing the door, walking around on their side of it....checking back at the glass.

The large skink moves with micromovements, 1000's of them with every foot traveled.....while the younger one seems to move more fluidly.....it's wild with slomo video!

Thanks again guys!
You are now officially a lizard trainer! Welcome to the club!!! :)

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
That would be sad Tom. I could barely control my kids.

But my kids all reacted the same as they grew old enough to see Dr Doolittle. I know that you get the same.....lol dad, that's you.

No. I learned that while I'll generally mess with wild things, they have a speed 3 gears faster than me now. If I estimate the penalty to be too high. It's safe from me messing with it.

Here's the new lizard potty. Same guy....ive seen him do it twice....poop&puddle

20230824_160702.jpg
Maybe he's trying to ward off the snake?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The little Florida anoles have memories for sure. Even if they are dumb they know where they like to hang out. They'll even live in a parakeet cage and just watch you from their regular perch. They're so cute.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
My green iguana Iggy most definitely has an excellent memory. He never forgets how much he hates me and any other human. This is because he was terribly treated for about five months when he was a juvenile. We are The Unforgiven, period. All my attempts to ingratiate myself with him over years have failed.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My green iguana Iggy most definitely has an excellent memory. He never forgets how much he hates me and any other human. This is because he was terribly treated for about five months when he was a juvenile. We are The Unforgiven, period. All my attempts to ingratiate myself with him over years have failed.
Maybe it's just Iggy's temperment to be a grouch in general. 😉 And has nothing to do with his memory. He evidently remembers he doesn't like people 😉

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Maybe it's just Iggy's temperment to be a grouch in general. 😉 And has nothing to do with his memory. He evidently remembers he doesn't like people 😉
He remembers his bad experience all right. He was living with us and growing nice and calm, curious and friendly. Then someone stole him or he escaped, not sure which. He was gone for about five months until the phone rang one day. We got him back from someone who had kept him in a tiny wire cage after having rescued him from someone with a hatred and fear of lizards and a machete. His front paws and half his tail chopped off. So, the lizard we got back was forever changed in many ways. That was over 20 years ago, and we still love him! The Unforgiven, that's what all humans are! He will now take food from our hands, but don't you touch him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He remembers his bad experience all right. He was living with us and growing nice and calm, curious and friendly. Then someone stole him or he escaped, not sure which. He was gone for about five months until the phone rang one day. We got him back from someone who had kept him in a tiny wire cage after having rescued him from someone with a hatred and fear of lizards and a machete. His front paws and half his tail chopped off. So, the lizard we got back was forever changed in many ways. That was over 20 years ago, and we still love him! The Unforgiven, that's what all humans are! He will now take food from our hands, but don't you touch him.
That's so sad. So glad you got him back and he is loved, even if it doesn't go both ways.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is normal green iguana temperament. They all hate people. Terrible pets, they are. They healthier they are and the better you care for them, the worse they are. Those dog tame ones are usually kept at the wrong temps, fed wrong, no UV, etc...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That is normal green iguana temperament. They all hate people. Terrible pets, they are. They healthier they are and the better you care for them, the worse they are. Those dog tame ones are usually kept at the wrong temps, fed wrong, no UV, etc...
That was my experience with the few I've been around. They weren't aggressive towards me but weren't friendly either. On second thought maybe the wild ones got used to me. They would come down out of the trees and bask in the backyard in Florida even when I was present. Some lived in the wild some not. The captive ones didn't like being picked up or touched at all. That's fine with me. I enjoy animals that I can just watch as much as the animals that enjoy being touched and held.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
How big is he now? Poor guy 😔 but really I've only had one rabbit that insisted on being held. Which I've heard isn't possible. The rest have hated it and I just let them be unless I have to. But they do lay at my feet or around me. Iguanas are probably the same. It looks to me like you are forgiven sense he'll take food from your hands.🤗

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
That is normal green iguana temperament. They all hate people. Terrible pets, they are.
Wow, describes my little bit*h to a tee! Nasty creature, reminds me looking back now, of Jeff Dunham's puppet "Walter"
I was lied to when I bought it but they saw me coming when I opened the door to the store! I wasn't that upset when Terry left the window open! If I'd been Tammy, "I don't that lizard"....wouldn't have taken him back, even crippled!

The last odd behavior these guys are both doing, is not taking food not expressly given to them. Yeah, I know how it sounds.

I tried this a couple different ways with the same results and don't know why. I get a "spidy sense" that they know the food is mine and that they shouldn't take it.

First time, from a sitting in my chair, I dropped a mealworm 6" from the large lizard and I put my hand back on my lap. He looked but didn't move. 4 minutes later, I reached down, picked it up and offered it to him and he took it.

Second time- I have the large one on my left, halfazz on the right.....I pour each, a small pile of 6-7 mealworms within 6in of each lizard. Neither one makes a move on the food. Halfazz is still pretty nervous and bolts as I reach down but turns to watch me offer the pile by pushing it to him....he eats. I do the same with the large one who is still watching at this point, then she eats as well.

Third time...2 days ago- After feeding 1 cricket to the large one(the one she scurried home with), I dropped a cricket 2" from her. She watched but didn't make a move for it. I went inside for 20 min. When I came out, the cricket was still there, I reached down and held it for her and she pounced on it like she was starving!

I'm really not reading anything into all this but it's always neat to interact with other animals.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Maybe their seeming willingness to take it from your hand. Is really their warning you: "Hey Dude! Love how your hand tastes! Gimme more!".

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow, describes my little bit*h to a tee! Nasty creature, reminds me looking back now, of Jeff Dunham's puppet "Walter"
I was lied to when I bought it but they saw me coming when I opened the door to the store! I wasn't that upset when Terry left the window open! If I'd been Tammy, "I don't that lizard"....wouldn't have taken him back, even crippled!

The last odd behavior these guys are both doing, is not taking food not expressly given to them. Yeah, I know how it sounds.

I tried this a couple different ways with the same results and don't know why. I get a "spidy sense" that they know the food is mine and that they shouldn't take it.

First time, from a sitting in my chair, I dropped a mealworm 6" from the large lizard and I put my hand back on my lap. He looked but didn't move. 4 minutes later, I reached down, picked it up and offered it to him and he took it.

Second time- I have the large one on my left, halfazz on the right.....I pour each, a small pile of 6-7 mealworms within 6in of each lizard. Neither one makes a move on the food. Halfazz is still pretty nervous and bolts as I reach down but turns to watch me offer the pile by pushing it to him....he eats. I do the same with the large one who is still watching at this point, then she eats as well.

Third time...2 days ago- After feeding 1 cricket to the large one(the one she scurried home with), I dropped a cricket 2" from her. She watched but didn't make a move for it. I went inside for 20 min. When I came out, the cricket was still there, I reached down and held it for her and she pounced on it like she was starving!

I'm really not reading anything into all this but it's always neat to interact with other animals.
That is odd. Perhaps because these food items are not their norm, they don't recognize them? But they are willing to take them from your hand?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
That is odd. Perhaps because these food items are not their norm, they don't recognize them? But they are willing to take them from your hand?
They want to BITE the Hand that feeds them!!!

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
No tammy, 40 years ago I used to have an iguana about two and a half to 3 ft long that lived in my apartment. That was the nasty little one.

The skinks are the brown lizards that I can hand feed on my deck nowadays