Little Russian and the daisy/wild sunflower?

SuzanneZ

Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown
He's not edible (😱), but is my volunteer yellow drought survivor?

Attachments

• IMG_20231021_100325~3.jpg
    IMG_20231021_100325~3.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20231025_143236~2.jpg
    IMG_20231025_143236~2.jpg
    813.8 KB · Views: 3

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
He's not edible (😱), but is my volunteer yellow drought survivor?
Because (a) this drought has started killing large hardwoods after it wiped out tortoise greenery and (b) the company that poisons at the base of telephone poles poisoned too near my last stash of wild greens, I drove all around this 300-people rural town looking to scavenge. Found not one blade of anything that I know to be safe.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Because (a) this drought has started killing large hardwoods after it wiped out tortoise greenery and (b) the company that poisons at the base of telephone poles poisoned too near my last stash of wild greens, I drove all around this 300-people rural town looking to scavenge. Found not one blade of anything that I know to be safe.
That's a bummer; hopefully it's not a long term pesticide. :/

A daisy isn't likely to do harm but I would be surprised if your tortoise liked it. I think for the time being you'll need to rely on the grocery store or if you are lucky a neighbor is growing zucchini. I'm guessing in a tiny town the grocery store is pretty limited as well? You might consider adding a pelleted food for the time being. For all we talk about weeds here there is nothing wrong with supplementing with a prepared food. Folks with rough winters do it; folks with multiple tortoises do it; breeders do it.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown

A daisy isn't likely to do harm but I would be surprised if your tortoise liked it. I think for the time being you'll need to rely on the grocery store or if you are lucky a neighbor is growing zucchini. I'm guessing in a tiny town the grocery store is pretty limited as well? You might consider adding a pelleted food for the time being. For all we talk about weeds here there is nothing wrong with supplementing with a prepared food. Folks with rough winters do it; folks with multiple tortoises do it; breeders do it.

Thank you. I imagine it's a herbicide. To kill dead grass?

The grocery store is 14 miles away. I just bought turnip seed to grow in 3 gal. canvas containers rather than buy from Walmart. After they get established, they can handle some frost. In the meantime I'll haul them onto my south porch with all the cast iron plants and two hostas. No, my little Russians can't have a hosta leaf.

Crimson clover seed is inexpensive and it's planted now. I'll have to wait on that in hopes the drought breaks.