Little black dot?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
So, my female RES layed an egg, and tortadise was very helpful, but despite the info I was reading (big chance it might be viable, but RES are so common AND there is a bit of rehome crisis right now[even though I'd keep him]) and was told, I really haven't made a decision on whether to keep it or not! :( So today just now, I decided to take a peek at the little thing, and noticed a small black dot right by the ends? It's really hard to see, but I can try to get pic, if you guys need one! The shell also feels much softer than it did originally? :confused: Could someone tell me how RES egg develop?
I have him in a little plastic container with moist sand in a room that stays 75'. (closet right by the heater, and I checked to make sure) I'm really starting to get concerned for the little guy's health, and I'm not sure how I could just get rid of him now! :(:confused:
Anyone have any suggestions/thoughts on the dot?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Thanks :( (not russians, Red Eared Sliders :) )but (call me over paranoid) I just went to check on it again, and it had literally exploded! :( The end is all cracked open, I thought the shell felt soft :(This sucks, I haven't seen any more eggs from her yet :(
Why did it do this? To hot? To cold? Wasn't fertile? :(

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I have never bred any turtles or tortoises, so I have no knowledge to share.

But I'm really sorry you lost the little thing. :(

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I have never bred any turtles or tortoises, so I have no knowledge to share.

But I'm really sorry you lost the little thing. :(
Thank you :( This is really going to stink if I figure out he was actually fertile!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
No matter what happened, i'm sorry the egg exploded. Maybe we can all learn from this.
I have not had a turtle lay egg, yet.
Sorry. :(:(
:<3:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Oky-
d.jpg
-That's the end where it cracked open. It doesn't smell AT ALL (like the yolk) which makes me think it wasn't decaying or anything :(
Another of it there-
xx.jpg
-and this is the little black dot I was talking about-
dd.jpg
jj.jpg
-it's wayyyy more pronounced in real life, but I think you can still see it :(
It's actually INSIDE the egg, so it's not a smudge or anything :( Diagonisis?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Photos would be great. Are there air holes in the container?
Yes. It's just a classic plastic container.. short, wide. I filled it about haf way with sand, and nestled the little thing right on top, because I didn't want to smother it (but, I mean, eggs in the wild get layed in the ground) and moistened it with water so that the lid was slightly condensed.
Yesterday when I posted, was the first time I noticed the dot, and I was poking around (I know, I know, no touchy :(:confused: ) and the shell felt a little softer than usual, and then later it had opened up.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
No matter what happened, i'm sorry the egg exploded. Maybe we can all learn from this.
I have not had a turtle lay egg, yet.
Sorry. :(:(
:<3:
Thanks :( I don't know what I did wrong! I hope you have luck, if they do :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Could some sand have poked it? :( They weren't very big granules, because I don't have any vermiculite.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
The egg wasn't alive. When something dead sits a while in a closed chamber (egg shell) gasses build up and eventually the interior pressure gets to be more than the shell can hold and it explodes.
:eek:Wow, okay that makes me feel way better! So I didn't kill him? :confused::oops:
Do you know what the little dot was?