Litterbox Issues

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Are you able to confirm that this really is Cancer? I'm surprised nothing came up in the blood screens or xrays?
when it was my cat, blood tests did suggest cancer. but the only way to really confirm is with an intestinal biopsy which is very hard on the cat.

Delilah1623

Thank you everyone for your ideas and also your kind words. I have talked with the vet some more and there really isn't much more to do short of surgery to see what's going on inside. My heart is breaking multiple times this week but I really appreciate everyone's kindness. I had a margarita for thanksgiving dinner (that was the whole meal, cuz that's where I am at right now) and have made the decision to put her down. Her appointment is scheduled for 10:20 tomorrow morning.

And a picture of my little old lady that always believed she was a dog.

20141004_163833.jpg

Prairie Mom

I am sending all the love and support my heart can send during this difficult time. You truly are going through one of the most difficult things a person can go through right now and it seems like you've been attacked on all sides. :( I'm praying that you will feel peaceful about this difficult decision and that comfort will come for you and your pets soon. Meanwhile, give your old sweetie a hug from me and share all the love you can with her. I know and promise you that you will be with each other again some day.

Big rib-crunching hugs!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Wow, your cat kooks like the twin of my cat Maggie! I've never seen another cat with that beautiful marbling :)

Could it be a territorial thing? I see you have at least a dog - any other pets? Even if it doesn't seem like there's a problem to you, there may be issues. And territory issues definitely shift and over time.

How many boxes do you have? Sometimes for problem cats adding more can help settle them back into using them. There is also special 'cat attract' litter that has pheromones t to attract problem cats. In FACT, my cat that looks just like yours (11 y.o) started peeing outside her box and this litter has stopped that.

Definitely check out Jackson Galaxy from animal planets My Cat From Hell. He's a bit out there but he really is good at what he does. Watch a few episodes, and suddenly your situation will feel less hopeless :)

Delilah1623

I can't do it.... I spent last night curled up on the bathroom floor with her and she is full of life and love still I can't give up on her. I am taking her in to see about putting her back on a dose of prednisone. Wish us luck.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I did not realize she was no longer on the prednisone. Yes, put her back on it! All I can say is to make her comfort a priority, and to enjoy every minute you have with her. Good luck to you.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Wow, your cat kooks like the twin of my cat Maggie! I've never seen another cat with that beautiful marbling :)

Could it be a territorial thing? I see you have at least a dog - any other pets? Even if it doesn't seem like there's a problem to you, there may be issues. And territory issues definitely shift and over time.

How many boxes do you have? Sometimes for problem cats adding more can help settle them back into using them. There is also special 'cat attract' litter that has pheromones t to attract problem cats. In FACT, my cat that looks just like yours (11 y.o) started peeing outside her box and this litter has stopped that.

Definitely check out Jackson Galaxy from animal planets My Cat From Hell. He's a bit out there but he really is good at what he does. Watch a few episodes, and suddenly your situation will feel less hopeless :)
She has a gastrointestinal disease.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I can't do it.... I spent last night curled up on the bathroom floor with her and she is full of life and love still I can't give up on her. I am taking her in to see about putting her back on a dose of prednisone. Wish us luck.
It's okay. She will let you know when she is done, I know that sounds hokey but it's true. I agree, put her back on the prednisone and any other meds that seemed to help. also in my opinion, let her eat whatever she wants to. That prescription food from the vet's is just crap. Do what you're comfortable with, I know it is difficult because I have been there more than once. Make her comfortable and enjoy her.

Delilah1623

Had her at the vet this morning. She was actually up to 6.3 pounds from 5.1 so something is working. They did a steroid injection (depomedrol?) since they are leaning towards IBD at this point since it improved when she was on the prednisone. Now it is more waiting to see what happens from here.

Prairie Mom

WOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!! Delilah, do you know that I have seriously been thinking about you non-stop and feeling this huge weight just imagining what you are going through! I seriously want to have a party now that I know you will be loving your kitty (what's her name??) for a while longer and that she has put on weight and acting cheerful! I agree with @leigti 's comment that your kitty will let you know when she is done.

My cat Tommy lived to the old age of 19, even though he was FIV+ and had chronic diarrhea. We had to work really hard to keep him healthy, medicated, hydrated, and the proper weight, BUT we did everything we could to make him comfortable and spoiled and I KNOW he felt loved and had a good life. Please take another glance at what I said about diarrhea in my earlier posts. In addition to those suggestions, we had to find the right kind of food for him after a lot of time and trial and error. We also were not a fan of the Prescription diets and the poor kitty hated them. We finally settled on an odd combination of Iams canned chicken food with a handful of Purina One lamb and rice dry crumbles mixed in. -I'm not saying this is right for your kitty, but letting you know that sometimes different and specific food choices can lower the impact of the diarrhea without the use of RX food. Plus, all the changes in diet can make the diarrhea a lot worse too.

Also, I did make a different post with ideas about cats messing outside of their box. Once your cat is in a healthier more stable place, you may want to take a gander:)
Good luck and please keep up posted! I want you BOTH to be happy very badly :D!!!!!

Delilah1623

Thank you for thinking of us (= I will keep you updated, I hope so badly this works for us. Her name is Starla (don't laugh, I've had her since I was 16 lol)

Prairie Mom

Thank you for thinking of us (= I will keep you updated, I hope so badly this works for us. Her name is Starla (don't laugh, I've had her since I was 16 lol)
I hope so too! Yes, please keep us posted. Starla---I actually love the name, but inquiring minds want to know...are we talkin' "Starla" as in Buffy the Vampire Slayer Starla? Or did I just expose what a BIG NERD I AM!?;)

Delilah1623

.... and it just struck me were on a tortoise forum and worrying about being nerds... pretty sure it goes without saying at this point doesn't it??

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
So glad about the weight gain!! With the weight gain and the fact that the prednisone worked so well, it is hopeful that right now you are just dealing with IBD and not GI lymphoma.