Litterbox Issues

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I had a little cat once that I adopted, he had one very badly deformed leg. He did well for a couple years but then suddenly he started peeing everywhere, at first I was mad, thought he was marking his territory etc. But then I watched him and realize that he was going and didn't even really know it. he was not positioned like he had to P it would just spray out no matter what position he was in or what he was doing. could this be happening with your cat with the stool?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I watch this show on Animal Planet called My Cat From (the underworld) and recently there was this senior cat who had hip issues, and he went outside the litter box because it hurt to move his hips to step upward/climb. :(
EDIT: LOL! @leigti, do you like that show?
Our replies must have crossed :) yes I do like that show. Dog trainers are a dime a dozen but it is harder to figure out what to do with the cat. Like I said most of the stuff on animal planet is pure junk but that show I do like. I think too many cats get a rod deal because people don't understand them, I wish I understood mine a lot more than I do.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I know.

I went through this exact thing. The cat medically has GI issues, most likely IBD. That IS why she goes outside the litterbox. That's what IBD cats do. That's why I keep saying it is the GI issues, not the change in litter or the hips!!....lol
I'm sorry :( I didn't know what GI was, so I had to look it up :(

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm sorry :( I didn't know what GI was, so I had to look it up :(
sorry...lol

IBD is just what it is for people. Irritable Bowel Disease. It's very serious, very uncomfortable, and painful. And it can and does lead to GI lymphoma. Almost all cats with this condition poop outside the litterbox. It is painful to poop!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
sorry...lol

IBD is just what it is for people. Irritable Bowel Disease. It's very serious, very uncomfortable, and painful. And it can and does lead to GI lymphoma. Almost all cats with this condition poop outside the litterbox. It is painful to poop!
:) Thank you!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
If it were my cat, I would give her the steroids to keep her comfortable, feed her the food she needs to eat that helps, and just clean up after her. This disease is not fun, she is not doing it on purpose. My main goal would be to make her comfortable and happy.

How is she doing/feeling the last few days?

Here is a picture of my IBD cat, Jake. I lost him to GI lymphoma in February of this year. This was him and I spending a few moments together before I let him go. :(
jake.jpg

Delilah1623

I had a little cat once that I adopted, he had one very badly deformed leg. He did well for a couple years but then suddenly he started peeing everywhere, at first I was mad, thought he was marking his territory etc. But then I watched him and realize that he was going and didn't even really know it. he was not positioned like he had to P it would just spray out no matter what position he was in or what he was doing. could this be happening with your cat with the stool?

that's what I think.... she just can't control it anymore.

It wasn't a big deal when it was solid but now that's it's so loose there is no way I can let her roam the house and just clean up after her. Even just having her in a small room with no carpets or anything else I still spend over an hour cleaning up after her every day. There is no way I can let her out amd have her pooping all over my bed, clothes, carpets and curtains. If i can't figure out how to stop the diarrhea i think it is time to put her down. She is losing weight and uncomfortable on top of being stuck in a small space.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
that's what I think.... she just can't control it anymore.

It wasn't a big deal when it was solid but now that's it's so loose there is no way I can let her roam the house and just clean up after her. Even just having her in a small room with no carpets or anything else I still spend over an hour cleaning up after her every day. There is no way I can let her out amd have her pooping all over my bed, clothes, carpets and curtains. If i can't figure out how to stop the diarrhea i think it is time to put her down. She is losing weight and uncomfortable on top of being stuck in a small space.
There is nothing wrong with keeping her confined in one room so she doesn't mess up curtains, carpets, etc.

If she is losing weight that worries me. What does the vet say about that? Are the steroids helping at all?

Prairie Mom

I have just the one other cat and I had 4 litter boxes and they get cleaned once a day.

They did suggest it might be IBD and said we could do a $300 ultrasound or just try the steroids and Rx food. The steroids and Rx food has helped in the sense that she now has solid stools only once a day and no more diarrhea..... but she still is not pooping in the box. She had been by herself for about a month now so she has the whole litterbox as her own.

It almost seems like there is a behavior and a medical component and now the medical component has been resolved but the behavioral one is continuing.... a friend suggested prozac, has anyone tried this on their cat with litterbox Issues?

Hi Delilah:)
I have A LOT of thoughts regarding your issue, have used similar treatments, and have dealt with pretty extreme litterbox issues myself. I really have A LOT to say. Would you mind a longer post on this thread??? Would my novel be alright :) or would you prefer I PMd you?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
She will lose weight if she has diarrhea. But she may also have cancer. I don't think they make Diapers like they do doggie diapers. She probably wouldn't keep them on anyway :) I had to put my cat down, it broke my heart because I am not one to give up on an animal but the vet said that he was not responding to the medication and that combined with his deforms leg there were probably more genetic issues that would keep popping up. Only you and your vet can make the call as to what to do.

Delilah1623

There is nothing wrong with keeping her confined in one room so she doesn't mess up curtains, carpets, etc.

If she is losing weight that worries me. What does the vet say about that? Are the steroids helping at all?

The vet is also concerned about her losing weight. She has always been tiny, around 7 pounds, and now she is around 5.

The steroids did seem to be helping at first but the last couple days have been downhill.... I am cleaning up about 3 or 4 puddles of diarrhea twice a day.

Delilah1623

Hi Delilah:)
I have A LOT of thoughts regarding your issue, have used similar treatments, and have dealt with pretty extreme litterbox issues myself. I really have A LOT to say. Would you mind a longer post on this thread??? Would my novel be alright :) or would you prefer I PMd you?

Your opinion is always welcome Mama (= I know you have a huge heart and lots of thoughtful insight and am always grateful for your input.

Delilah1623

She will lose weight if she has diarrhea. But she may also have cancer. I don't think they make Diapers like they do doggie diapers. She probably wouldn't keep them on anyway :) I had to put my cat down, it broke my heart because I am not one to give up on an animal but the vet said that he was not responding to the medication and that combined with his deforms leg there were probably more genetic issues that would keep popping up. Only you and your vet can make the call as to what to do.

The vet did say that it could be some type of intestinal cancer. At 14 if it is cancer I don't think I would want to put her through all of that.

It is so hard. Our childhood pets we knew when it was time and it always seemed to be an acute issue with a diagnosis and a clear choice when it was time..... how come when it's up to me to make the decision it's so different? I keep telling myself I'll see how she does this week and make a decision this weekend... and 2 months later nothing has changed.

On top of this my boyfriend has not been supportive at all and I have asked him to move out.... I'm turning 30 tomorrow... just started a new job after 9 years at my old one... I am just overwhelmed and having a little pity party for myself right now. )=

Prairie Mom

Siiiigh...big hugs! It sounds like you're going through such a rough time!

I have huge amounts to say about cats going outside of the litterbox and have had an old cat with chronic diarrhea as part of his FIV condition. After reading your recent comments, I'm honestly not sure how much they apply. It sounds like you are dealing with the possibility of very serious health related issues. As far as the painful decision on when to end it...honestly...YOU WILL KNOW. If you're still questioning it, then it means, it isn't time yet. I promise you will know. I've cared for many old and special needs animals and have had to lovingly say good bye to many of the most amazing animals in creation. YOU WILL KNOW. For now, try to catch your breath and let your kitty feel LOVED. Spoil her with attention despite the stinkiness, don't punish her for the bad litterbox behaviors, and give her as many of her favorite meals as you can.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Man I'm sorry, when it rains it pours. I agree, if the boyfriend isn't supportive he's out of there. me and my animals are a package deal :) I would not put her through cancer treatment at this time either, especially at her age. and that kind of cancer doesn't really respond anyway. don't make any decisions right now. Sleep on it for a few days. Get through this weekend and see what you think. It is your decision, don't let anybody make you feel guilty no matter what you decide to do.

Prairie Mom

Are you able to confirm that this really is Cancer? I'm surprised nothing came up in the blood screens or xrays?

Prairie Mom

There were a few of posts that I wanted to comment about, so I'll address those here...

First off, you're awesome for rescuing these cats and providing them a forever home and good medical care! You are thinking this through and seeking medical answers in a way that a lot of people do not have the consideration to do and it makes me highly respect you!

Kitty Prozac:
To answer your question regarding "kitty prozac"---Yes, I have done this. It seemed to help our cat for a few years. He didn't stop completely, but there was some improvement in his litterbox behaviors. After a few years, we didn't feel like it was making a big enough difference and decided to reduce his doses and take him off the medication.

Steroids:
I have also used steroids on an older cat before. (I believe it was "Prednisone?") My cat needed it and it helped. I was glad that I used it. Yes, the medication has major health risks, which is why it isn't for long term care. In the case of my old cat, it was part of his end of life care and it really helped improve the quality of his life. I believe it also lengthened his life and gave him the boost he needed. He lived to a good old age even though he had considerable health complications related to FIV.

Diarrhea:
The same cat that was on steroids also had diarrhea issues. He had chronic loose stools and diarrhea for many years as part of the other health problems he had. We never solved the diarrhea problem, but just continually helped him the best we could. I liked the article Yvonne posted about diarrhea and have also added "metamucil" type powders to our cat's food to give him additional fiber. We also used "Fortiflora" which is a prescription probiotic powder that our vet gave us. Again, we never solved the problem, but we helped his quality of life and he lived a long time. Occasionally, our cat became dehydrated and our vet gave him liquids by inserting fluid in his back shoulder blades. He'd have a little camel hump until his body obsorbed all the water and nutrients, but this was a great way to hydrate him and take him immediately home without the use of an IV.

Prairie Mom

@Delilah1623 I decided to start a new post regarding my experience with cats going outside of the litterbox. I just didn't feel appropriate placing it here with so many uncertainties for your beloved kitty. I'm praying that he improves and you will all be able to breath a sigh of relief. We will send you internet hugs and support no matter what happens!!!

Here is the thread I started, just in case you ever feel that it may be helpful...
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-advice-about-cats-going-outside-their-litter-box.106682/
(please feel no obligation to read it!)

I hope you get in some relaxation soon!
Hugs,
Chrissy

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The vet is also concerned about her losing weight. She has always been tiny, around 7 pounds, and now she is around 5.

The steroids did seem to be helping at first but the last couple days have been downhill.... I am cleaning up about 3 or 4 puddles of diarrhea twice a day.
I'm so sorry. :( That is a large weight loss. She very well could have GI lymphoma as my Jake did. Really, as I said IBD does lead to it because the lymphoma is pretty much a very, very serious case of IBD. I will tell you that I chose to keep my Jake comfortable with steroids, etc. but not treat the cancer. Partly because confirming the diagnosis before treatment involved intestinal biopsy and my vet warned me that is very hard on the cat. I just didn't want to do that to him. So we just kept him comfortable. I have to say I feel I made him suffer and hold on too long and I regret that. It is so hard to know when it's time. I hate making that decision. I've lost 2 cats and a dog in the past 2.5 years, all to lymphoma. It sucks.

My Jake was 6 lbs. when he died. He was a 13 to 14 lb. cat in his youth.