Lilly's renovation

Lillysmytort

Location (City and/or State)
Vermont
:tort::tort: After a long discussion, Lilly talked me into renovating her penthouse. She said that if I could spruce up her bachelorette pad, I could buy some new knitting needles and sock yarn... DEAL!!!!

Here are the before and afters!!

View attachment 66844

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Is there normally a water dish?

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Some comments/questions:

It looks way too small for a russian of that size. How are your temperatures?
Where are the lights?
Are you measuring humidity in there? It seems very dry.

Lillysmytort

Vermont
I took the lights out to set it up... And it's not a permanent enclosure, her mansion is under construction (made out of 3 repurposed dresser drawers with a digging hole and some edibles). Her warm side on average is at 90*. She has a ceramic heater that keeps at around 75*. I am struggling with the humidity, but she gets a spa treatment every day...

What is the best way to keep the humidity up? Her water dis is under the basking lamp, I head that helps.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Lillysmytort said:
I took the lights out to set it up... And it's not a permanent enclosure, her mansion is under construction (made out of 3 repurposed dresser drawers with a digging hole and some edibles). Her warm side on average is at 90*. She has a ceramic heater that keeps at around 75*. I am struggling with the humidity, but she gets a spa treatment every day...

What is the best way to keep the humidity up? Her water dis is under the basking lamp, I head that helps.

Nice, have fun building her enclosure :) Basking temp of around 95-100 F is recommended by most members. Night temps in the low 60s is ok. Dont keep him hot at night. What kind of lights do you use? For humidity change substrate to coco coir and partially cover top.

Lillysmytort

Vermont
So I can turn her heater on during the day to bring up her temps and she'll be ok at night with just room temp at about 65-70*?

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Lillysmytort said:
So I can turn her heater on during the day to bring up her temps and she'll be ok at night with just room temp at about 65-70*?

Absolutely. Even as low as 55-60 can be ok for russians at night. Testudo species do not need and should not be kept very warm at night.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
My night temps are anywhere from 65 to 72 averaging 68 . Is that to warm for my Russians night temps?

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
TortsNTurtles said:
My night temps are anywhere from 65 to 72 averaging 68 . Is that to warm for my Russians night temps?

That is ok but don't let it get much warmer than. Read the last link Tom provided, lots of great info on russians (also about temperatures).

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Great information. Lots to learn. Thanks.