lighting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kberr

5 Year Member
Hi, I just joined this group yesterday and had a lot of questions answered (thank you). I am getting ready to get a baby Hermanns and will initially keep him/her in a small indoor enclosure about 36" by 18". I am buying the T-rex active UV heat flood. Which size do I need, the 100 watt or the 160?
thanks, Kim

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
kberr said:
Hi, I just joined this group yesterday and had a lot of questions answered (thank you). I am getting ready to get a baby Hermanns and will initially keep him/her in a small indoor enclosure about 36" by 18". I am buying the T-rex active UV heat flood. Which size do I need, the 100 watt or the 160?
thanks, Kim

Is it an aquarium, a bin or a tort table? Wattage size really depends on how big your enclosure is and how well it holds heat too.

It's one of those things where you really never know if it's the right size until you try it. You want it to be at least 12 inches from substrate level and up to 20-24" for a MVB I think?

I would probably say try a 100w for a smaller enclosure though. Make sure the MVB hangs directly down. If the fixture is angled, it could burn the bulb out and is usually bad for the tortoise eyes. You don't want to angle/clamp MVB to the sides of enclosures. You want it to be adjustable because you'll be needing to adjust it either daily or a few times a week to get the correct temps.

kberr

5 Year Member
initially it will be a plastic bin until I build a tort table. Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.