Lighting And Heating

Rafael Moreno

So i was wondering if anyone could tell me about lighting and heating a little more in depth and anwser some of my questions about it before i get my tortoise Note: my tortoise will live indoors

Do the lights stay on 24/7 ?
Do i need to set my room to a certain tempature on my therostat ?
What tempature Does the enclosure need to be at night ?
What tempature does the enclosure need to be during the day ?
Is there a timer i can set to make the lights turn on at a certain time

Little information tht might matter

my tortoise will be living indoors
my room temp is 70 degrees cools at 79
i live in san fernando california
pacific time

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
What type and age of tortoise are you getting? You may be able to keep your tortoise outside for a good part of the year depending on where you live. This could end up saving you a lot of hassle with lighting and heat.

Rafael Moreno

What type and age of tortoise are you getting? You may be able to keep your tortoise outside for a good part of the year depending on where you live. This could end up saving you a lot of hassle with lighting and heat.
2 month old baby tortoise

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Sulcata, Russian, Redfoot? Because they all require slightly different set ups. Although in general as little babies they require more humidity and heat then the adults. go to the species specific section for the kind of tortoise you plan to get and research that area. And also check out the enclosures section to give you some ideas and examples. definitely have the set up already to go before you get your tortoise, with temperatures and humidity checked etc.

Rafael Moreno

Sulcata, Russian, Redfoot? Because they all require slightly different set ups. Although in general as little babies they require more humidity and heat then the adults. go to the species specific section for the kind of tortoise you plan to get and research that area. And also check out the enclosures section to give you some ideas and examples. definitely have the set up already to go before you get your tortoise, with temperatures and humidity checked etc.
leapord

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Okay. Go to the sulcata or leopard tortoise section, the care is pretty much the same especially for hatchlings. Read Tom's care sheet that will help you out a great deal.

Jackyyyy

Toronto, Ontario
So i was wondering if anyone could tell me about lighting and heating a little more in depth and anwser some of my questions about it before i get my tortoise Note: my tortoise will live indoors

Little information tht might matter

my tortoise will be living indoors
my room temp is 70 degrees cools at 79
i live in san fernando california
pacific time

12 hours on 12 hours off
80F at night
Day temperature can be 80F to 120F(basking spot) depending on the area. Keep The light at least 12inch away from the shell.
Yes you could find a timer in any hardware store. I set mine to turn on at 6 am in the morning, 7pm at night.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

1. Lights need to be off at night, but temps still need to be warm, so you'll need a CHE on a thermostat.
2. A warmer room will mean less basking and lower wattage bulbs can be used. This is good. Ideally you will house your leopard tortoise baby in a large closed chamber so room temperature will not matter.
3. 80 degrees at night for a baby leopard.
4. 80 degrees or more during the day too, but with a 95-100 basking spot as well.
5. Got to Home Depot or Walmart and get a digital timer for your lights.

You live in an excellent area for tortoises. You ought to make a large covered outdoor enclosure for you baby and plants all sorts of good stuff in there for it to graze on. Use this enclosure for an hour or two a day during nice weather when your tortoise a tiny baby, and gradually leave the tortoise out there longer and longer as it gains size. Soak your tortoise daily after its sunning session. Here is an example of what I mean: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...table-but-safe-outdoor-baby-enclosures.30683/

PLEASE read these care sheets. Everything you are asking is explained in detail in these links:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Also be aware that most breeders start them far too dry, so read this BEFORE you buy one. It will tell you what to watch out for and what questions to ask. Beware of "Breeder Failure Syndrome": http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/