Night heating

Michelle85

Location (City and/or State)
San Jose Ca
I have the ceramic heating light that I put on at night for my baby sulcata I have noticed that it's not staying as warm as it should. I was wondering what measurement of distance should the night/day lighting be for adequate heating? The set up I have now is not the best so I'm going to go to the pet store to look for something better any suggestions? I have him in a large storage bin.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Build something or have someone build one for you its the cheapest and easiest way to get everything you need. I had my hubby build a 6x3 box and my sulcata out grew it in two years. 12 to 16 is the length I have for my heat lamps.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Figure out how to cover the enclosure to keep the heat inside. Then, once you have it covered, use a temperature gun to check the temperature at floor level. That tells you to either raise or lower the CHE.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have the ceramic heating light that I put on at night for my baby sulcata I have noticed that it's not staying as warm as it should. I was wondering what measurement of distance should the night/day lighting be for adequate heating? The set up I have now is not the best so I'm going to go to the pet store to look for something better any suggestions? I have him in a large storage bin.

You need either a larger wattage CHE, or an additional CHE.

Building a large closed chamber will make your life easier and your tortoises life better.

Michelle85

San Jose Ca
I can't think of a way to cover the bin he is in now so I'll try getting another light and start looking into having something built.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I use big sheets of foam insulation board as a lid. Its light and holds the heat.