controlling heat

Tommy-T

HI
Tommy arrived today... 6months old and very cute! He has eaten, drank, pooped and explored. He seems very happy...
Please help...We have set up a table with a hanging heat/uv lamp 18" above the tortoise. The temp seems to reach 34.6 within about 2-3 hrs. This seems too hot but how would I control this?
Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

You can raise the light. It may also be that your light is too big (too many watts).

Tommy-T

Welcome to the Forum!

You can raise the light. It may also be that your light is too big (too many watts).
Thanks for your reply... The table has a fixed arm for the lamp to hang from so can't be raised. Bulb 100w, which was recommended by the seller.... does that sound to many watts? thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're going to have to make an adjustment to the arm. I'd saw off the horizontal part and glue/screw a longer vertical piece on then add another horizontal arm. Or take it off altogether and buy one of these:

zoomedlightstand.jpg

I've bought them off Amazon.com before. It's called a Zoo Med Lamp Stand. The 100 watt bulb is fine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not a big fan of those premade tortoise tables. They're not big enough and the light bar isn't in the right place. What kind of tortoise did you get?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Do you have a digital thermometer? The type that sticks to the side of the enclosure is of little use. You need one that takes spot measurements at tortoise level - temperature gun type thermometers are best and not too expensive.

Your tortoise must have a temperature of 95-100F (35C) directly under the basking lamp so it can digest food and be active and healthy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One thing I should explain - Directly under the light it should be around 100F degrees. That's good. Then, for a baby tortoise you want the rest of the enclosure to be 80-85F degrees. That's pretty hard to maintain in an open top table.

Tommy-T

I'm not a big fan of those premade tortoise tables. They're not big enough and the light bar isn't in the right place. What kind of tortoise did you get?
we got to add the light to what ever part of the table we wanted and its a pretty big table for such a small fella...4" long!
Hes a horse field as I wanted one bred in this country due to different countries temps... we are in England so he is used to our weather from day 1 lol.

Tommy-T

Do you have a digital thermometer? The type that sticks to the side of the enclosure is of little use. You need one that takes spot measurements at tortoise level - temperature gun type thermometers are best and not too expensive.

Your tortoise must have a temperature of 95-100F (35C) directly under the basking lamp so it can digest food and be active and healthy.
Hi, we have a digital one with a probe on the end of the cable.... I have placed the probe on the ground, under the lamp area.... this is where the 34.6 is? is this ok them?

Tommy-T

One thing I should explain - Directly under the light it should be around 100F degrees. That's good. Then, for a baby tortoise you want the rest of the enclosure to be 80-85F degrees. That's pretty hard to maintain in an open top table.
ok so 34.6 sounds ok for the heated area and the room is kept at around 20-21...70ish degrees.

Tommy-T

You're going to have to make an adjustment to the arm. I'd saw off the horizontal part and glue/screw a longer vertical piece on then add another horizontal arm. Or take it off altogether and buy one of these:

zoomedlightstand.jpg

I've bought them off Amazon.com before. It's called a Zoo Med Lamp Stand. The 100 watt bulb is fine.
Thanks for this, will keep this in mind