Lethargic, puffy eyes, won't eat, but other torts are fine

ospenshir

Hi!
I have three Russians, all female, and two of them (Shirley and Penny) are doing just fine, eating okay, perfectly active, and soaking normally, and then my third one, Oscette, is very lethargic and would not open her eyes until we soaked her for a bit. She still will not eat and we've tried a variety of lettuces and even cat food, which she never turns down because it's a super special treat. I noticed today that she is really skinny, so I feel like she may not have been eating for a few days, since I don't usually monitor them while they're eating, they usually eat most if not all of what they're given. I'm really worried about my Oscette and I will probably take her to a vet tomorrow if she doesn't eat by end of day. Will add a photo of her eyes once my phone comes back on. Also, could anyone recommend a vet in the Kansas City area?
tumblr_n9qramJXmG1sf3xmpo1_500.jpg

Her eyes look better now, but she still doesn't want to open them very much

Last edited:

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
If she's skinny, she has been not eating for longer than a few days. Separate her immediately. The dynamics among the group may be part of what caused the problem.

ospenshir

They all usually eat fine though, and she's not eating even when I try to hand feed her or feed her separately on the floor. And she loves it when she's hand fed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The main reason a tortoise presents with puffy, swollen shut eyes is because he hasn't eaten in a long time and is suffering from a vitamin A deficiency, however, I'm going out on a limb here and suggesting that your tortoise has a respiratory infection. In my opinion, this tortoise should be seen by a qualified tortoise vet.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

M

Maggie Cummings

Also make sure you're not using a spiral bulb. Start adding strained carrots to her soak, go the the Vet and things will look up...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Separate the tortoise now. The tortoise is not eating...

since I don't usually monitor them while they're eating,

They all usually eat fine though

I am confused....do you watch them while eating or not watch them? While you are waiting for the torts vet appointment I would separate them...also, after you separate them, I would offer daily warm water soaks, I would use foods that the tort can easily smell and hard to resist...and be patient....if you insist on taking the tort to the vets...please be sure to take caution in allowing the vet to offer a vitamin shot....