Leopard with infection?

Nina CB

I am a woman living in Sweden who has had turtles and tortoises all of my life. Recently I have had a bad stroke with leopards, who are often imported to Sweden from Kenya and unfortunately bring infections with them. Every reptile lover fears respiratory infections and I have had a few animals with this problem previously - a turtle when I was in my twenties that died, a baby leopard a few years ago that had bubbles coming out of his nostrils and did not improve on antibiotics. I currently have an adult male leopard, roughly 15 years old, that came to me from a family that had him since he was a baby. He was initially bought in a pet shop (probably Kenyan origin) and was kept solitary for the ten years he lived in the other family. When he came to us, we heard a slight wheezing when he breathed. I observed him very closely and he had no "nose bubbles" and seemed in excellent shape otherwise. He walkes MILES every day and has a ravenous appetite. Still, I took him to the vet and an x-ray revealed signs of pneumonia although it was very little. He has not improved on antibiotics (Ceftazidime). The vet has now taken all virus and fungus cultures and we are awaiting results. She says probably viral infection (herpes, which is common in leopards) and that he may have had this for years and could still live many years with few signs of illness. I am reluctant to have him put down because he is a lovely character and seems perfectly normal apart from the occasional wheezing. She recommends that if it is herpes virus we should let him enjoy life and only consider euthanasia if he suffers.
I would appreciate any input. Anyone with a similar experience? Any thoughts on what I should do with my leopard friend Hugo?

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
never had a leopard tortoise , unless they for some reason do not tolerate it , try amikacin . i've seen it work when fortaz didn't ............

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Please remind the vet that leopard tortoises are allergic to the antibiotic Baytril and it shouldn't be used with leopard tortoises.

Try setting him up in an indoor habitat for a couple weeks, and bring up the temperature in the COVERED habitat to about 85F degrees. It is helpful to keep sick tortoises extra warm. This helps them shake off the sickness. Soak him daily in warm water.

Nina CB

Great news! The vet phoned with the results of the cultures. It is not virus but Mycoplasma bacteria, which can be treated with antibiotics. On my way to the pharmacy to get the medicine now. Many thanks for your input!