Larry:Our Desert Tortoise Child =)

kibog

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi Everyone! I am new to the tortoise forum. My husband & I just became custodians of a 9lb desert tortoise in Septemeber 2013. Our tortoise is named Larry. :tort:

Poor Larry has been through the ringer. Our first day home with him he started blowing bubbles out of his nose. This went on the next day too, so off to the vet we go. Turned out, Larry has a lung and sinus infection so unfortunately antibiotics it was.

The lung/nasal infection cleared up after about a month and a half. THEN we noticed Larry's back leg was starting to swell. Yep, back to vet. This time he has an abscess in his leg. You guessed it, more antibiotics. :(

That took about two months to clear up completely. THEN only a few weeks later, Larry was in his borrow digging and we think he tore a muscle causing complete and utter front left leg paralysis. They were talking amputation and my heart just broke into a million pieces. It has been 6 months and Larry has regained about 30% movement. I'm so worried for him. I pray he regains his full range of motion and strength. I know tortoises take longer to heal than humans, but it seems it has been a long time already. The poor boy has to slide around our backyard. The good news is he is still eating and he is extremely loved. I just want him to be happy and healthy and he has not had that chance since 10 months ago when we got him.

I am here to learn as much as I can about the desert tortoise and do what I can to make Larry happy and and as healthy as he can be. I look forward to reading about anyone else who has had similar problems with their tortoise.
:rolleyes:
Thank you everyone! So happy to be here, thanks for reading!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Poor Larry. He's really been through the wringer. They make little plastic furniture slides. Its a little gizmo that has a sticky side and a very smooth side. If you stick one of the slides to his plastron right behind the leg that doesn't work good it will raise him up a bit so he doesn't have to plow through the grass. You may even have to stick a slide on top of a slide to get him up higher. This might free the leg up a bit so it doesn't have to work so hard.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

kibog

Arizona
That sounds great! I stopped at home depot and am trying one on him now =) He may need two of them to raise him up like you mentioned to leg that leg rest.....it's so hard for him we have various terrains, i.e. dirt, small rocks, grass, medium rocks. Ugh, I just wish he would heal! I also wrap up his leg every other day or so and then the next day unwrap him and do some tortoise therapy. The vet suggested this 6 months ago when it first happened. Thank you for the suggestion!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Larry has had his sher of problems! What kind of desert tort is he ?

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I am a physical therapist. Try "water therapy". Hold him in the water so that he is swimming with his front legs. I'm pretty sure did desert tortoises don't actually swim so don't let go of him :) :) but the water can strength that leg in a more natural motion. This method works great with dogs and horses so it should work with Tortoise is also :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
He will need some weight-bearing through that leg also. If there is a surface that he can walk on relatively easily, even for just a few minutes, try to do that daily so that the leg gets some weight-bearing through it.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. May the slider and the water physical therapy work for Larry and he will fully recover soon. Thank you for sharing it with us.