Leopard Update at 5+ months

Nsav

Location (City and/or State)
Robbinsville NJ
Hi All, have encountered some new growth on baby Desmond. When I got him at 2 months, he was 46.7g. Now he’s a little over 5 months old at 95g, eating Mazuri with collard greens, mustard greens, escarole and/or spring mix (minus the baby spinach). Heeding your advice, I’ve gotten a digital thermometer which also measures humidity (now at 80% since I soak the substrate instead of misting) and a temperature gun, I’ve swapped out the repti basking light for a regular 60w incandescent floodlight (needed to buy from Amazon because large box stores are banned from selling them now, they can only sell LED which produces much less heat), I’ve swapped out the Reptisun 10.0 uvb mini compact (vertical U-shaped bulb) for a T5 HO 10.0 UVB 12 inch horizontal tube light. And I’ve swapped out my food and water bowls with glazed terra cotta saucers from Tractor Supply for easy entry/exit. Next on my list is an extra large (96L x 36W x 24H) sealed enclosure, which will be better than my current Zoo Med tortoise table which I modified with a tempered glass cover with cut outs for my lamp (after joining this TFO), but that will take another 6 months.
Desmond seems to be thriving to these changes, and he no longer needs to wear sunglasses to look up at the lights. Lol.
Below are some now and then photos.
Three questions if you could be so kind to share your thoughts: 1) he sleeps in his various hiding spots, some of which have some damp sphagnum moss. He likes to imbed himself under the clump of moss. I have never seen him eat any of it. But I’ve read on this TFO that sphagnum it’s not safe to keep it there due to potential impacting if eaten or limb entanglement. Is that true of all mosses? Are there any safer alternatives? 2) the water which I bathe him in and feed him and soak the Mazuri in is always spring water which I buy from the supermarket. Is it safe to use regular tap water or are the minerals in there too harsh? (I live in New Jersey). And 3) the growth lines on Des are coming out white. Will they stay white or turn black? Thanks in advance for all your help. This site is a treasure trove of information!

Attachments

• IMG_1194.jpeg
    IMG_1194.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1192.jpeg
    IMG_1192.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tap water is fine, that's what I always use. I'm in Chicago.
No moss. It molds and can cause impaction or tangle limbs if it's long strands.
Growth lines are always lighter that I have ever seen. Yes they likely will change.
He is looking great.

Nsav

Robbinsville NJ
Tap water is fine, that's what I always use. I'm in Chicago.
No moss. It molds and can cause impaction or tangle limbs if it's long strands.
Growth lines are always lighter that I have ever seen. Yes they likely will change.
He is looking great.
FYI: I just chucked out all the moss. Would not want to risk mold, impaction or entanglement for the sake of a bit of comfort. Plus it stinks.