leopard tortoise.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool
Hello,

I was wondering what would be the best plants for a vivarium so the tortoise could hide under and maybe eat if it wanted to, as what to brighten it up a little for it.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
There is a list or two of good plants here on the forum if you do a search. I had a difficult time keeping plants in my enclosure because they would knock them over or eat them. Now my adults have eaten my backyard also, so finding plants that are safe and they won't eat is a challenge.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
There is a list or two of good plants here on the forum if you do a search. I had a difficult time keeping plants in my enclosure because they would knock them over or eat them. Now my adults have eaten my backyard also, so finding plants that are safe and they won't eat is a challenge.
sorry greg, i replied to your previous message, i have tried to search but unsure what i should put in the search box for leopards. do you have many tortoises then?

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
3 adults and currently 6 babies. With 1 male and 2 female adults, I'll usually have several clutches of babies each year.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
3 adults and currently 6 babies. With 1 male and 2 female adults, I'll usually have several clutches of babies each year.
you have a good set up then? is it rather easy to look after the tortoises in your country then? yeah I've tried mashing the mazuri but still they will leave them leaves and eat everything else, i was warned off fruit as its no good for them? is it wrong to overfeed them on the mazuri? as in putting weight on to quick?

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
My setup for the babies is very simple because I usaully only keep them a few weeks before rehoming. My adults can stay in the yard most of the year which makes it very easy. You can gives fruits but in smaller quantities and not often, like once a week or so. They love it. I'm surprised yours doesn't like mazuri, mine usually pick up on it quickly. My adults love it also. My experience has been they will stop eating when full and just walk away. Others say you can overfeed them, so I'm not sure what is truly correct. If you provide a good mix of greens and mazuri, this is not a problem. If you put a pile of mazuri in front of them every day, they may gain weight faster than normal. I have seen my adults walk away from a pile of mazuri also, which is why I think they leave when full.