Leopard Tortoise not growing…

FlapjackandLegs

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Our beloved Leopard tortoise hasn’t put on any weight in a good while. He eats a good, full diet of dandelion and other suitable wild leaves with a calcium top up yet has not surpassed 70g and is almost 6 months old. He looks healthy and vibrant.
Does anyone have any experience/suggestions?
Thank you all!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You have to give us a lot more info for us to help.
Enclosure table or closed chamber and size
temps, basking, all over, night
Humidity
Soakings, how often and how long
Lighting used, basking and uvb
Heat used
Substrate
And what type of leaves/diet

FlapjackandLegs

UK
He is in a closed 4ft enclosure kept at average 30 degrees celsius with uvb light. Basking light makes his enclosure too hot. He’s active and soaks for 20-30 mins every 1/2 days. We use hemp for substrate and he is eating dandelion leaves, prickly ox tongue, nettles with added calcium.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He has to bask under a 95-100F area in order to be healthy, and to digest food.
That's one problem. Answer the rest of the things I asked if you want us to help.

FlapjackandLegs

UK
I appreciate the help. He has a basking light but it makes his whole enclosure way too warm despite our efforts to use both and keep it a suitable temp so we opted to keep it off. Humidity levels are 60-70%.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Likely you are using the wrong stuff. I don't know how to help without all the answers I asked for.
Read the caresheet and closed chamber threads, maybe those will help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My very first post.

Enclosure table or closed chamber and size
temps, basking, all over, night
Humidity
Soakings, how often and how long
Lighting used, basking and uvb
Heat used
Substrate
And what type of leaves/diet

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I appreciate the help. He has a basking light but it makes his whole enclosure way too warm despite our efforts to use both and keep it a suitable temp so we opted to keep it off. Humidity levels are 60-70%.
I've tried to raise leopards without a basking lamp, and the result is always... wait for it... very slow growth in spite of good appetite and a good diet. Sulcatas too. And stars.

Ambient and night temp should be around 26-27C. 30C during the day is pretty good. But they still need a basking area around 36-37C. If you basking lamp is overheating the entire enclosure, then you need to do one of two things: 1. Use a lower wattage bulb, or 2. Run your current bulb through a rheostat, aka: dimmer, and dial down the wattage a bit to get the correct temps. In an open table (not good for leopards), a person could also raise up the fixture a bit, but the bulb would be over heating a table since all the heat would just go up and into the room.

When you say it is overheating the whole enclosure, what temperature are we talking about? Its okay for it to get up to 30-33C during the day. I mean ambient in the whole enclosure.

What type of basking bulb is it and what wattage?

What type of UV bulb?

What are you using to maintain ambient heat?

Hemp is not a suitable bedding. Its too dry and can't be kept damp. You need to use orchid bark and keep it damp. Humidity should be 80+% or you will see pyramiding.

Calcium supplements should only be used twice a week.

Babies under 100 grams need to be soaked every day. Only after they surpass 100 grams do I start skipping an occasional day.

In addition to the thread that Barb left, here is more care info:

FlapjackandLegs

UK
I've tried to raise leopards without a basking lamp, and the result is always... wait for it... very slow growth in spite of good appetite and a good diet. Sulcatas too. And stars.

Ambient and night temp should be around 26-27C. 30C during the day is pretty good. But they still need a basking area around 36-37C. If you basking lamp is overheating the entire enclosure, then you need to do one of two things: 1. Use a lower wattage bulb, or 2. Run your current bulb through a rheostat, aka: dimmer, and dial down the wattage a bit to get the correct temps. In an open table (not good for leopards), a person could also raise up the fixture a bit, but the bulb would be over heating a table since all the heat would just go up and into the room.

When you say it is overheating the whole enclosure, what temperature are we talking about? Its okay for it to get up to 30-33C during the day. I mean ambient in the whole enclosure.

What type of UV bulb?

Hemp is not a suitable bedding. Its too dry and can't be kept damp. You need to use orchid bark and keep it damp. Humidity should be 80+% or you will see pyramiding.

Babies under 100 grams need to be soaked every day. Only after they surpass 100 grams do I start skipping an occasional day.

What type of UV bulb?

Thank you!
I can change him to bark right away as we already have tons for our boa.
The basking light was making his whole enclosure above 50 degrees c and we weren’t able to improve this at all despite adding holes and other ventilation. We tried two different wattage bulbs. I’ll have to confirm what they were when my husband gets back from work.
Thank you, I will resume to soaking him everyday. It’s certainly interesting how most of the information we’ve learned ourselves is the opposite to what the reptile seller told us. We were told only to bathe him once a day for a week although we did do it for at least a month before switching to every other day.
I’ll try my best to answer the lighting questions this evening.

Thank you Tom, you’ve been a great help!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm thinking not only do you have the wrong bulbs but possibly an enclosure that is way too small to get temps with a basking bulb where they are suppose to be.
When we know the exact bulbs you are using, also post a picture of the enclosure. The more we know and can see, the better we can help
Most breeders gave no clue how to raise tortoises properly and most websites out there are incorrect. Heck, even vets don't know much about tortoises.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you!
I can change him to bark right away as we already have tons for our boa.
The basking light was making his whole enclosure above 50 degrees c and we weren’t able to improve this at all despite adding holes and other ventilation. We tried two different wattage bulbs. I’ll have to confirm what they were when my husband gets back from work.
Thank you, I will resume to soaking him everyday. It’s certainly interesting how most of the information we’ve learned ourselves is the opposite to what the reptile seller told us. We were told only to bathe him once a day for a week although we did do it for at least a month before switching to every other day.
I’ll try my best to answer the lighting questions this evening.

Thank you Tom, you’ve been a great help!
I know this was not your question, and this is a tortoise forum, but I don't like orchid bark for snakes. I find it causes snout problems as they root around in it. I prefer coco chips for most snake applications. Monitor lizards and skinks too. But orchid bark is best for tortoises.

FlapjackandLegs

UK
I know this was not your question, and this is a tortoise forum, but I don't like orchid bark for snakes. I find it causes snout problems as they root around in it. I prefer coco chips for most snake applications. Monitor lizards and skinks too. But orchid bark is best for tortoises.
Haha, no problem. Thank you for your input. Our snakes are all very healthy and we haven’t found any problems with them rooting in their bark over many years. Perhaps we’ll try out a different substrate in the future.
It does seem that “how to raise a leopard tortoise” is different from every webpage or person you speak to.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It does seem that “how to raise a leopard tortoise” is different from every webpage or person you speak to.
Yes. That is explained here in this thread that I think you have already read: