3 year old Leopard Tortoise not growing

RiverKentValley

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
My Leopard Tortoise is 3 years, but it is only 3 inches long–is this normal? It get's plenty of roaming time and sunlight, is active on a regular basis, hardly has any pyramiding, eats everything it's supposed to, shell is very hard and shining and it's eyes are very healthy. Is there a reason why my tortoise might not be growing, or is this considered normal?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
3 inches at 3 years? How long have you had the tortoise? Do you have pictures?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, they all grow at different rates, but I must say that your seems to be growing pretty slowly.

I think that temperature has a lot to do with growth. Is he hot enough? I don't mean 'warm' enough, I mean 'hot' enough.

RiverKentValley

5 Year Member
California
3 inches at 3 years? How long have you had the tortoise? Do you have pictures?

I've had her since she was a hatchling. (I'm afraid I don't have any recent picture of my tortoise on my device, but I'll try to get you some soon)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I took a look at your past posts and pictures of Liebe. It looks like the tortoise isn't being kept humid enough. Humidity also aids in growth. So, heat up that habitat - 105F or so directly under the light, fading to around 85F on one end and down to room temp, or not below 75F on the other end. And wet the substrate. It also helps to keep warm, moist sphagnum moss in the hiding place. And, of course, 15 minute soaks every day.

RiverKentValley

5 Year Member
California
Well, they all grow at different rates, but I must say that your seems to be growing pretty slowly.

I think that temperature has a lot to do with growth. Is he hot enough? I don't mean 'warm' enough, I mean 'hot' enough.

I've kept her environment between 71-90 degrees (one side is the 'cool' area and the other the 'warm' area) pretty much her entire life. And since I live in CA, I take her outside whenever it's warm enough (which is often). And I've improved the humidity of her environment as well, to about 75% or more.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Pictures are always a bonus. It really helps the more experienced people help when questions arise.

I have leopard hatchlings and I can attest to the fact that they definitely grow on their own schedule. My oldest is my smallest. My smallest upon arrival is now my largest. They are still really young so the patterns could change.
They are all being raised in the same chamber so their conditions are very similar but as someone mentioned in another thread, there are still many variables within a single environment that can contribute to their growth and development.
Yours does indeed sound very small but I would be inclined to say that if the tortoise is eating a varied healthy diet, the temperatures are above 80F and the tortoise is bright eyed and active, staying hydrated at all times...then he/she is likely just fine and is just a small tortoise with slow growth.

Elohi(Earth)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I just had a DERP moment. Above 80 isn't totally necessary for a 3 yr old tortoise, right? Leopard keepers? Right? I'm in a "hatchling" mind set since that's all I have. Sorry if I'm confusing you.

Elohi(Earth)

RiverKentValley

5 Year Member
California
I just had a DERP moment. Above 80 isn't totally necessary for a 3 yr old tortoise, right? Leopard keepers? Right? I'm in a "hatchling" mind set since that's all I have. Sorry if I'm confusing you.

Elohi(Earth)

But I'm with you. I was taught that once they get to a current age that you change their habitat temperature and that they are able to handle temperature lows such a 60 degrees. But maybe my teacher was wrong, I don't know. Everyone on this forum has different techniques that seem to work profoundly well and their tortoises look gorgeous. I'm only confused on which techniques to try.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How was this tortoise started for the first few weeks and months of its life? Wet routine or dry routine? It is typical for dry started tortoises to grow very slowly like this sometimes. Nothing you can do about it now. Just feed him well and keep him hydrated.

RiverKentValley

5 Year Member
California
How was this tortoise started for the first few weeks and months of its life? Wet routine or dry routine? It is typical for dry started tortoises to grow very slowly like this sometimes. Nothing you can do about it now. Just feed him well and keep him hydrated.

The owner I bought her from started her off on a dry routine, and I, for awhile did the same because he instructed me to (almond substrate, heating lamps 75-95 degrees , and water only once a week) . It was only later that I learned of the 'wet routine'.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Do you have any information on the adults that produced your leopard? That is usually where I start.

Looking back at some of your old posts, I would agree with Yvonne that your tortoise might have been kept too dry or there might be some other weakness in the care it has received. The tortoise has a stacked pyramided look, and that is not a normal thing to be that severe. I'm not trying to be mean here or anything, just trying to offer some insight to help you start looking for what might be the problem with your tortoises slow growth rate. Would you be able to provide us with details on your husbandry and maybe provide a picture of your set up?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona

Elohi(Earth)

That is right, but it depends on how humid you keep their enclosure among other factors. My leopards larger than 4 inches have been outdoors 24/7 since late March, but humidity has been very low and day time temperatures are well into the 80's and 90's. They have weathered lows in the 40's and 50's without any health issues or decreased activity levels.