Leopard Tortoise - Lighting Concern

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeast Tennessee
View attachment 97944 View attachment 97943
Hmm. I've read some bad reviews about that, but I'll see what I can do. Yes, I do turn off the light at night.

Thanks for all the info. I see what you're saying, but I still need a base to set it on. And this bin isn't transparent so if I do something like that using the lid, I won't be able to see much! I can understand why the light should be straight, but if I cover the other half up (moist side) with the lid, I don't see why it would be an issue. You see, cutting the lid is going to be difficult in the first place. It's thick af, and the bottom part is also awkward. I will need to buy some tools to cut it. Just cutting it through will be tough, let alone a hole in the lid for the light!
I understand the transparent thing totally. I have to be able to see mine at all times. I'm paranoid if I can't see them. Lol.

zalvi

I've had no problems using a stand in the past, but it's your enclosure, if you don't want to do that you could always do something like this:

url=http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-6361.html]http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-6361.html

Throw out the original lid, and use something else easier to cut into to house your lamp.

I also understand your tub isn't transparent so you won't be able to see much, nothing you can do about that I'm afraid except buy a transparent tub!

Good luck though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum
Thanks for the ideas!

zalvi

I forgot to ask, Do u plan to upgrade his enclosure in the near future?
Yes, of course! Depends how fast he/she grows, but I already have something in mind. One of my friends owns a woodshop and he's a complete beast at making his own custom things. He said he could make me the ultimate tortoise house! So yeah, that's the future of the little one :p

zalvi

Decided to name the little one Rex! Rex is pretty active, he consistently moves around his enclosure and he likes to explore things. I want to provide him with more things that will interest him. More places to climb, etc. Any ideas?

zalvi

Found this awesome lamp in my garage, lol. Its actually perfect for my enclosure! Anyways, need to buy a 50 watt heat bulb to amp up the temperature in my enclosure and wanted some confirmation if a specific bulb would work fine with this specific lamp. It says up to 60 watt, and the bulb is 50 watt, so I thought it should be fine, but wanted confirmation in case there are other factors to it. Please respond ASAP as I'm getting ready to go to the pet store in 30 min, ty.

image (11).jpeg image (12).jpeg image (13).jpeg
pPETNA-5058510_main_enh.jpg

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Is this bulb in addition to an MVB? I can't imagine that a 100watt Powersun MVB is not providing a warm enough basking area, if your enclosure stays 80f at night time with no additional heat and all lights off.
They get very hot!

Still, if you want an additional heat/light source a regular light bulb will work just fine. A lot cheaper than another reptile branded basking lamp.

Have you read the leopard care sheets?

What's are your current temps?

zalvi

Is this bulb in addition to an MVB? I can't imagine that a 100watt Powersun MVB is not providing a warm enough basking area, if your enclosure stays 80f at night time with no additional heat and all lights off.
They get very hot!

Still, if you want an additional heat/light source a regular light bulb will work just fine. A lot cheaper than another reptile branded basking lamp.

Have you read the leopard care sheets?

What's are your current temps?

The enclosure is open and the bulb is angled so the MVB is not enough. With the new bulb, I'm hitting 95ish. It was only 7 bucks, so meh. Gonna get the lid sorted out today and will later post a pic of Rex's enclosure.

zalvi

Updated enclosure: Extra basking light and half cover on.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
The MVB bulb must be pointing straight down. Not at an angle. You can get the large zoo med Lampstand, that's what I use and it works really well and it is stable because the base is under the bin. and you can adjusted up or down to get the correct temperature. It should keep the enclosure warm enough by itself, check the temperature on the top of your tortoises shell when it is sitting directly under the light. add some plants and some places to hide and it will be great.covering it will also keep the temperatures up.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Yes, of course! Depends how fast he/she grows, but I already have something in mind. One of my friends owns a woodshop and he's a complete beast at making his own custom things. He said he could make me the ultimate tortoise house! So yeah, that's the future of the little one :p
That sounds sweet!! I wish I had someone with a wood shop, lord I would b missing for days. I have tortoise mansions in my head but not handy enough w a saw to make em myself. I usually have to wait till my brother owes me a favor and then I guilt him into turning my idea into wood. Hehe.

zalvi

So I was hand feeding Rex when I saw a worm on his head... It was a small little worm with some transparent red thing... I took care of that but what should I do? Rex is still very active and eats and what not. I haven't found any direct poop in his enclosure, it would be hard to spot anyway, moist eco earth is the reason why. He usually poops when I soak him but he hasn't in 2-3 days.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
So I was hand feeding Rex when I saw a worm on his head... It was a small little worm with some transparent red thing... I took care of that but what should I do? Rex is still very active and eats and what not. I haven't found any direct poop in his enclosure, it would be hard to spot anyway, moist eco earth is the reason why. He usually poops when I soak him but he hasn't in 2-3 days.
I got little tiny white bugs in my Eco earth, from what I read they were ok, they didn't bother my baby's and they eat up the little particles of food that's left behind. But if what u saw was a worm, I ain't sure about that. As for him not pooing for a couple days, maybe you should try soaking him twice a day or soaking him till he poos. A breeder I got some of my leopards from told me he soaks his till they poo, that way he can monitor them closer, make sure stuffs going in and stuffs coming out. All mine poo daily in their soaks so I'm not sure if going without pooing is an ok thing.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
My little ones poo almost daily too. Sometimes i find it in the enclosure. 2-3 days and i would be getting anxious. I would try longer soaks. Probably should have the stool checked by a vet for worms.

zalvi

I got little tiny white bugs in my Eco earth, from what I read they were ok, they didn't bother my baby's and they eat up the little particles of food that's left behind. But if what u saw was a worm, I ain't sure about that. As for him not pooing for a couple days, maybe you should try soaking him twice a day or soaking him till he poos. A breeder I got some of my leopards from told me he soaks his till they poo, that way he can monitor them closer, make sure stuffs going in and stuffs coming out. All mine poo daily in their soaks so I'm not sure if going without pooing is an ok thing.
I saw like a little fat white worm looking thing, it was pretty fat though. And it was transparent with a red thing, like a tongue or something.

My little ones poo almost daily too. Sometimes i find it in the enclosure. 2-3 days and i would be getting anxious. I would try longer soaks. Probably should have the stool checked by a vet for worms.
I'll try 2 soaks a day for 20 min each.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I was thinking the same. The breeder I got some my baby's from said he soaks his til they poo daily. He said if their not pooing, that's a sign something is wrong, either they aren't eating or their stopped up, he said he has had cases where if he hadn't been monitoring that end, he would have probably lost that tort.
Me, I am a super worrier, and after I lost 2 of mine,I monitor their eating, their pooing, they get weighted weekly instead of monthly, I give them a whole look over everyday before their soak, I am watching and checking everything. I figure it can't hurt. That's just me. Perhaps a more experienced person can tell you if not pooing a couple days is for sure ok or not.
When do you give him his daily soak?
I usually soak my baby's first thing in the morning, maybe 30 minutes after their lights come on, give them just enough time to get woke up but not enough time to poo in their enclosure.

zalvi

I was thinking the same. The breeder I got some my baby's from said he soaks his til they poo daily. He said if their not pooing, that's a sign something is wrong, either they aren't eating or their stopped up, he said he has had cases where if he hadn't been monitoring that end, he would have probably lost that tort.
Me, I am a super worrier, and after I lost 2 of mine,I monitor their eating, their pooing, they get weighted weekly instead of monthly, I give them a whole look over everyday before their soak, I am watching and checking everything. I figure it can't hurt. That's just me. Perhaps a more experienced person can tell you if not pooing a couple days is for sure ok or not.
When do you give him his daily soak?
I usually soak my baby's first thing in the morning, maybe 30 minutes after their lights come on, give them just enough time to get woke up but not enough time to poo in their enclosure.
Its not that he didn't poop for 3 days, I'm sure he did. He just hasn't pooped when I soaked him the past 3 times. I also soak him in the morning, before he eats anything.