Leopard Gecko substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Grand Forks
Is tile a good substrate to use? Or is it to hard? I have a UTH and a 75 Watt heat lamp its a constant 95 on the hot side and 75 on cool side. I took out everything in the enclosure does it look like this tile will work? O and will be getting my first Leo on Monday!!!Resampled_110911145104.jpgResampled_2011-11-09_14-49-29_746.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Tile should work fine. I currently use paper towels, not the most natural looking substrate but it makes cleaning the enclosure easy.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
With leopards you can use just about anything you want, yours looks real nice , but it will be a constant job to keep it clean. I (when i had leopard geckos) used paper towels or a type of mulch so when it came time to clean the enclosure it could be replaced it with new.I didn't keep them out for other people to see so it didn't have to look natural, it served to keep the geckos healthy.When I had enclosure out for display I would have 2 so I always had a clean one to replace the dirty one,I have a crested gecko now with a soil substrate, planted with live plants with creepy crawlers in it to help with the removal of waste that I either don't see or just miss when spot cleaning, so far it has worked in this setup, for a crested, never tried it with leopard geckos though. Len

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Tile is very good and I also think paper towel is very good also

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks
Thanks for the input! those individual rocks are actually all connected it's one long strip meant for tiling a shower! So its really easy to take everything out! But should I fill the cracks in with sand or something? I know it's a sin to use sand but it's just for the cracks think that will be safe?

Amanda1

5 Year Member
Plainfield, IN
I use paper towels too. Sand should be ok to fill in the cracks, especially if you are getting an adult gecko. I've heard of many people who have done it successfully. The problem is young ones get impacted fairly easily. But if you keep your food dish clean you shouldn't have to worry much about him accidentally ingesting the sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.