Leo, Matilda & Valentine, 3 little torts want to get big

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Hello tortoise friends,

I want to invite you to share with me the growth of my 3 little sulcata babies.
Their names are Leo, Matilda and Valentine.
They hatched at the end of Juli 2016, and I got them the 4. of October 2016.
I got them directly from a breeder and he gave me a couple of advices how I should keep them, but .....
I am so glad that I`ve found this wonderful forum, because the advices my breeder gave me were wrong, and if I follow them, my torts would be already sick ....

So at the beginning of this thread I want to say "Thank you" to the members and operators of this forum, and for your knowledge sharing with sulcata beginners like me. Because of you my little tort babies grow up in the right way. ( I hope ).
Some of you might say that this is not so difficult, but please notice where I live !
I live in Germany with a rough climate. But I am able to keep my sulcatas even if they are big in 3 rooms in a former stable with central heating and a door to get directly outside in the garden.
But now the sulcata tortoise babies should get the word by pictures of them:

October 2016
PICT2779.JPG

alle drei ganz dicht zusammen.JPG

Leo, January 2017 "Want more cuttlebone" ....DSCN0054.JPG

Valentine, January 2017 "I am a little bit shy" ....
DSCN0414.JPG

Matilda, January 2017 "Take your picture and then leave me alone" .....DSCN0404.JPG

soaking together....
DSCN0073.JPG

sunbathing together ....
DSCN0328.JPG

Asta la vista, baby .... DSCN0413.JPG

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looking good. Is that the indoor enclosure they are in? I'd like to see more of it, the little bit in the pics look great. Be sure to keep a close eye out for bullying. Even though you have three and not just a pair, it's still something that has to be watched for.

Bee62

Germany
Wellington said
Looking good. Is that the indoor enclosure they are in? I'd like to see more of it, the little bit in the pics look great. Be sure to keep a close eye out for bullying. Even though you have three and not just a pair, it's still something that has to be watched for.

Hi !
Thanks that you like the indoor enclosure of my torts. I am trying to build them a tiny natural habitat.
I`ve read that torts are unsocial and might fight when they get bigger. I will keep an eye on them and how they will behave.
I`ve also had the idea to buy two more yearling sulcatas to build a group, but it may be wiser not to do this?
I just have to think it over ...
But here are more pictures:
DSCN0426.JPG DSCN0434.JPG DSCN0425.JPG DSCN0451.JPG

Bee62

Germany
Today was tort weighting day...:D

Leo: 263,3 gr
DSCN0438.JPG

Matilda: 230,5 gr
DSCN0442.JPG DSCN0442.JPG

Valentine: 226,5 gr
DSCN0448.JPG

Bee62

Germany
Hello, I want to make a tort update. :):tort:
My three little ones grow fast. They are all above 300 Grams.
But something special happend: I got a new sully baby to complete my group, and here she is: Little Shari says hello to you:DSCN0661.JPG DSCN0661.JPG DSCN0662.JPG DSCN0669.JPG

Bee62

Germany
New baby Shari should be hatched the same time as Leo, Matilda and Valentine but I can`t believe....
Here is a picture with my little big Leo:
DSCN0670.JPG DSCN0674.JPG DSCN0674.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0672.JPG
    DSCN0672.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 5

Bee62

Germany
I recognize that Shari has the beginning of pyramiding, although the breeder told me that she was kept in humid conditions. But I hope with my way to keep my torts the pyramiding can be stopped.
I think Leo is a good example how smooth my bigger torts grow and little Shari gained in weight 11 Grams in three days .....

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
wow, the difference is amazing! What are you going to do about their names if Matilda and Shari turn out to be boys? For that matter, what are you going to do if more than one is male?

Bee62

Germany
wow, the difference is amazing! What are you going to do about their names if Matilda and Shari turn out to be boys? For that matter, what are you going to do if more than one is male?

That are good questions @Big Charlie.
Names can be changed, that will be no problem. I have three rooms in a heated barn for the torts when they get bigger. I can seperate them, but to be honest: If I have to many males I mayby have to rehome
one of them.