Leo grass

Leo1986

5 Year Member
Couple things. What is the grass seed mix I should get for leopards? And where can I get it.
What are good greens to buy from the grocery store if your worried about the calcium status of a hatchling? I have a Leo hatchling who is a replacement for a HFS baby... And he was going gang busters... Then it seemed like he got squishy over night. So I have been researching a lot about greens and seems as though a lot of the store bought greens either aren't good sources of nutrients or block the absorption of calcium. I might be grasping at straws.
You should know I've got all parameters set to Toms care sheet. I offer mazuri 2-3 times weekly but the baby doesn't eat it... The other two will.
The baby is the best eater but will get weird if calcium spray or powder is on it :/ ... He's 30 grams and has smooth growth but just not as firm as I think he should be.

The other two are 115 and 240 grams and are champs...growing NON-pyramided rings and gaining weight.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Babcocki leopards usually won't eat grass until bigger. If you can keep trying though, it would be good to get him to eat some. Other things I have always fed is, dandelion greens, romaine, spring mix, endive, mustard and collard greens, radicchio, optunia cactus, Christmas cactus, Mazuri, keep tryin that too, eventually they will eat it. Also, take a look at thetortoisetable.org.uk for more edible items. I also grow the seeds that Tyler of tortoisesupply.com sells. I also use repashy, grass/hay grain made for horses.

Also, if your Leo is soft, get him out in the sun light as much as possible, be sure he doesn't over heat. If you can't because of temps outside, be sure to have a good UVB light and give calcium with D3 a pinch, a couple times a week. If you chop the food up and sprinkle with a little calcium and spritz with water and mix it will help to disguise the calcium. If he's not eating, try some carrot baby food warm water soaks with some non flavored pedialyte mixed in.