Leadership lessons from tortoises! Video.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I think it is stressful for those tortoises to be together when one of them bullying the other. Is that astroturf? What a shame they don't have real grass.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If left long enough, the sully would hurt the little one. The sully didn't move away because it was scared. The little one went behind it and he didn't know it was still even there any more.

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
She claims that the little Hermann's "dominates" the Sulcata. Which is just silly.

Then she goes on to say, "In the tortoise world, this is absolutely natural."

Nope, no it's not...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's good to have confidence in yourself, of course! Despite your size or shape. But this is nothing to do with tortoises or the reasons for their behaviour. It's a "cute" way to demonstrate a point.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm reminded of something that happened 25 or 30 years ago.
(Before I'd known better)
I babysat a tiny Russian tortoise owned by my brother. I placed it in with my Redfoot group (of course)
My Redfoot were well grown adults. But that scrawny little Russian chased them around like a sheep dog herding sheep.

It's the same Russian that climbed out of the four foot tall plywood enclosure that I placed him in after that.
Straight up the plywood. And not in a corner. Near the center!

Different species act differently. And different tortoises within the same species can also be especially aggressive.