Largest sulcata on record?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
The more these videos proliferate, the harder it will be to convince regular folk the care they advise is wrong, if not deadly.
Yep. Look at the Tiptoe vids. Many of them show him eating fruit. Folks see that next to a pretty blonde and assume that's normal. And Ethyl the Glamour Tort - just too weird for me to take seriously. lol

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Yep. Look at the Tiptoe vids. Many of them show him eating fruit. Folks see that next to a pretty blonde and assume that's normal. And Ethyl the Glamour Tort - just too weird for me to take seriously. lol
So here is the thing about Ethel (which I have to say, i do "enjoy" those in a way, IF I dissociate from the messaging it sends), but her shell is mostly smooth (some pyramiding but not as bad as you'd expect) and she is lively and healthy and seems well cared for. I don't think they had her in an enclosed chamber when they got her, and she roams around the house, and they use bulbs to keep her warm, all of which is bad, but she looks GOOD - and she's a sweet friendly tort who *seems* biddable and easy to handle (again, not the best messaging for wannabe tortoise owners). (for those not familiar: https://www.instagram.com/etheltheglamourtort/). So, its hard to argue the way they raise her is "bad" (other than other people trying to replicate are more likely to have bad results) when she looks so good.

I have to imagine an IG feed of the Mary Knobbins of the world would not encourage people to go out and get a Sulcata. For all we can disagree with some of what Chris at GST says, he DOES try to discourage people from getting Sulcatas as pets

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
So here is the thing about Ethel (which I have to say, i do "enjoy" those in a way, IF I dissociate from the messaging it sends), but her shell is mostly smooth (some pyramiding but not as bad as you'd expect) and she is lively and healthy and seems well cared for. I don't think they had her in an enclosed chamber when they got her, and she roams around the house, and they use bulbs to keep her warm, all of which is bad, but she looks GOOD - and she's a sweet friendly tort who *seems* biddable and easy to handle (again, not the best messaging for wannabe tortoise owners). (for those not familiar: https://www.instagram.com/etheltheglamourtort/). So, its hard to argue the way they raise her is "bad" (other than other people trying to replicate are more likely to have bad results) when she looks so good.

I have to imagine an IG feed of the Mary Knobbins of the world would not encourage people to go out and get a Sulcata. For all we can disagree with some of what Chris at GST says, he DOES try to discourage people from getting Sulcatas as pets
I have no doubt that Ethyl is well cared for, although I can't comment on what happens off-camera. I just find the videos to be weird. Especially the Disco one! lololol

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia

Social media is horrible. I got off it a few years ago for the better. It's not better in the chicken world either. When I was active on IG there was one lady toting around a crippled chicken with her on her adventures. The poor thing looked like it wanted to die and she was posing it on a beach and feeding it ice cream you name it. Absolutely ridiculous and useless reporting it unfortunately.

ryan57

PA
The more these videos proliferate, the harder it will be to convince regular folk the care they advise is wrong, if not deadly.
I post things on Stump's channel that are taboo around here but work for us. This forum was essential to me even being close to getting it right. I wish we would add 3 things to the forum. Example rigs with everything right on three tiers 1) dirt cheap, 2) medium and 3) spendy, a standard form for tracking growth and a thread dedicated to destruction and poop for letting newbies what they're in for. Those are the main topics of the videos I will be posting.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I post things on Stump's channel that are taboo around here but work for us. This forum was essential to me even being close to getting it right. I wish we would add 3 things to the forum. Example rigs with everything right on three tiers 1) dirt cheap, 2) medium and 3) spendy, a standard form for tracking growth and a thread dedicated to destruction and poop for letting newbies what they're in for. Those are the main topics of the videos I will be posting.
I got tangled up in a post about hay ... I think that newbies just don't understand the eating habits of Large torts enough to understand when they are not eating enough. A poop thread might just show em a little bit of what their in for, how much they really eat. Might be a good thing ... Poop Thread.

Pák

Esztergom
Poops my god, my sulcata is ~700g finally i was abble to convince him to poop every morning during soaking. It means everything from a cleaning point of view. Now i am thinking, how can i maintain this, even if he will be 100+ pounds, for the rest of my life.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Poops my god, my sulcata is ~700g finally i was abble to convince him to poop every morning during soaking. It means everything from a cleaning point of view. Now i am thinking, how can i maintain this, even if he will be 100+ pounds, for the rest of my life.
It becomes ALOT to handle. Right now we have a 16 lb. male that we bring inside for soaks, food and an inspection. He is potty trained so that he poops as soon as the soaking starts, so well trained that he makes every morning a ritual of cleaning massive poops (just like you said). It is definitely a LOVE thing, why else would anyone put up with their kitchen being treated like a horse stable every morning. Searched your city ... Looks beautiful, Hungary is a wonderful place.