Largest sulcata on record?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Who on earth's gonna' pay a five figure price tag for a little gecko?

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Just read through this and when I clicked on the Kamp Kenan video #2, my wife and I looked at each other and I said "This is our future" she simply replied "Yes." We only have 10 not 25 acres (For now) but are going to devote it to mainly Torts. Large problem torts (Males) seem to have a very hard time finding "Forever" homes. Lots more building is needed, but still the same need is there ... a comfortable place to live.

ryan57

PA
Does anyone know what the largest sulcata recorded is? I had no luck with a google search, I found lots of stuff about Galapagos but no sulcata. If so, are there pictures?
I have been curious too. There is a YouTube video of a sulcata named George that is claimed to be about 200 lbs. and Dean S on this forum described Monstro's heritage and that his mother was 180lbs and if I recall correctly he's seen some sudanese sulcatas that had approached 400lbs and were 48" long. If you're 12" longer at the same aspect ratio in all directions I can see how 400lbs would be possible because Aldabras are similar weight with those dimensions.

ryan57

PA
Just read through this and when I clicked on the Kamp Kenan video #2, my wife and I looked at each other and I said "This is our future" she simply replied "Yes." We only have 10 not 25 acres (For now) but are going to devote it to mainly Torts. Large problem torts (Males) seem to have a very hard time finding "Forever" homes. Lots more building is needed, but still the same need is there ... a comfortable place to live.
I would have no issue with punching that beta male in the face letting his tortoises joust to the death to see what will happen. "It's just nature" bs... and most of his care instructions are wrong. Did you see that clickbait title "Killer Sulcata!". F that guy.

My Pond Turtles were Killed! (This is Devastating)​

Kamp Kenan
808K subscribers
Join

<__slot-el>

This kind of beta male non leading the correct way nonsense. Yeah, they're dead because you are a moron.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
its not a gecko, its an investment :p
I would have no issue with punching that beta male in the face letting his tortoises joust to the death to see what will happen. "It's just nature" bs... and most of his care instructions are wrong. Did you see that clickbait title "Killer Sulcata!". F that guy.

My Pond Turtles were Killed! (This is Devastating)​

Kamp Kenan
808K subscribers
Join

<__slot-el>

This kind of beta male non leading the correct way nonsense. Yeah, they're dead because you are a moron.

This Keanan guy let two torts fight to the death?? How???

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
They live in a group and he introduces other males etc. presumably to "see what happens" and then they are aggressive and ramming each other in the videos. Like an MMA match. Not cool.

It does seem rather odd doesnt it? He genuinely seems to care about his animals (although a lot of his care practices for torts dont seem to be update) but then when it comes to Sulcatas he leaves multiple males in the group and I dont know how quickly he's introducing new ones or if they go through a quarantine process. I agree it's definitely not cool to just let animals fight if it was avoidable in the first place. It's not like he's running some large preserve where all the animals free roam and the males are establishing a hierarchy, his critters are fenced in and have no where to run away when they lose.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
It does seem rather odd doesnt it? He genuinely seems to care about his animals (although a lot of his care practices for torts dont seem to be update) but then when it comes to Sulcatas he leaves multiple males in the group and I dont know how quickly he's introducing new ones or if they go through a quarantine process. I agree it's definitely not cool to just let animals fight if it was avoidable in the first place. It's not like he's running some large preserve where all the animals free roam and the males are establishing a hierarchy, his critters are fenced in and have no where to run away when they lose.
Some of his practices have been a hot topic for debate here and elsewhere for a while now. I watch his vids to get general landscape ideas. He has a pretty cool piece of property.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
When you loose the love of the individual animal you might as well be just be another idiot in the line of fools before you. Loving EVERY animal is a mandatory thing if you are trying to better the future of any animal. I really do not like YouTube as a medium for learning, more of a "Clickbait" atmosphere nowadays for $, instead of an collection of "Video Encyclopedias." Question ... Couldn't Testosterone levels be increased with Females around a singular Male? With changing the # and individual females in a said pen with a singular male? Wouldn't this get his "Manliness" going.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
When you loose the love of the individual animal you might as well be just be another idiot in the line of fools before you. Loving EVERY animal is a mandatory thing if you are trying to better the future of any animal. I really do not like YouTube as a medium for learning, more of a "Clickbait" atmosphere nowadays for $, instead of an collection of "Video Encyclopedias." Question ... Couldn't Testosterone levels be increased with Females around a singular Male? With changing the # and individual females in a said pen with a singular male? Wouldn't this get his "Manliness" going.
Follow the $$. lol

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Follow the $$. lol

Oh, I'm with you. I see many of these YouTube / TikTok / etc instructional videos becoming more and more commercialized. Thank God we have TFO to fall back on for the correct info. ;)

The more these videos proliferate, the harder it will be to convince regular folk the care they advise is wrong, if not deadly.