Lafayette the Russian

vvildflower

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi, everyone! So I'm new here, and I wanted to introduce my tortoise to you all.
In February last year, one of my sisters knew I really wanted a tortoise but i wasn't able to afford one, so she bought one for me (from Petco, which I've been regretful about ever since she bought my tort). At the time I really didn't know that much about torts, so I admit I didn't give her the proper care she needed for the first few months. But now she has her own room (yes, an entire room), a big 7×8 outdoor enclosure, and hopefully soon I will be building a 7×4 indoor table for her. I've bought many wild plants that I feed to her everyday, which is a big upgrade from all the veggies I used to feed her.
She's a very sweet girl!! She loves to snuggle with me, bask under her UV/heat lamp, and burrow. Last year my dog found a way into her room and attacked her, so now her shell is scarred, but now I'm always very very very careful about where she goes in my house.
I'm 17 so I'm glad I'm learning about tortoises at an early age, because I'd love to adopt a rescue tortoise one day and keep them in their own large enclosures.
If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it! I'm a lot more experienced now and know how stupid I was at the beginning, but she's the love of my life and I honestly would do anything for her.
(And I don't know why but it won't let my upload pictures, so hopefully I'll be able to add them soon).

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

vvildflower

Texas
Welcome! Please give these a read-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
What flooring are you using in her room? Tortoises should not be allowed to roam the floor unless it has some sort of substrate. It’s not very good for their legs, and can cause them to walk funny.
She sounds like she’s in good hands!
Right now she only walks on carpet since tile and wood are obviously too slippery, but now that it's warm outside she lives in her outdoor enclosure (unless it's too cold or there's a storm).
Thank you, I will definitely check those out!;

izzzzzz6

France
Right now she only walks on carpet since tile and wood are obviously too slippery, but now that it's warm outside she lives in her outdoor enclosure (unless it's too cold or there's a storm).
Thank you, I will definitely check those out!;

Thats good that she survived the dog attack, something i am worried about when my tortoises are in their enclosure, i am considering fencing it in as currently the wall is only around 40cm high. They are very good climbers so watch out. Don't forget they need shade as well as sun, Hopefully you have provided this as they will overheat otherwise. I guess you have read the link that Technocheese attached. I'm going to read it myself now as you never know if there is more to be learned.
Happy tortoise times.James and Kate.