baby russian tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Looks normal to me also. More than likely wild caught, coming from Petco. Looks very Good.

taytay3391

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa, USA
Hey guys. I just got a bigger tank for her. She was in about a 30 gallon rubber maid tote but she's started getting bigger now so I wanted to make sure she had enough room to "be free." ANYWAY, I'm really nervous because she's so anxious in this new place. It's 2x4 ft wooden structure, with her ramp bowl, food bowl, half log, and fake plant. She has her heat lamp on one side as well as her UVB lamp. BUT she keeps pacing and won't go into her log even though I KNOW she's tired. (it's past her bed time!) She ate some broccoli (as I knew it was her favorite) and urated in her water. So she seems pretty normal but she just keeps pacing and digging at the corners of the tank :( she's starting to worry me. I just wanted to give her something bigger and better! Do I just wait it out? Or should I be more proactive. I'm just so worried

Here's a picture of her new home. You can't see the heat lamp, it's on the far left.

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 67

tortisimo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, Washington
Whats the substrate? If it's just sand, I would suggest changing it. Sand dries out to easily and can scratch her shell if she tries to burrow.

ff86

5 Year Member
Russian tortoises are cool! but Keeping them is illegal in china, i feel sad...

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Your food plate would make an ideal water bowl; shallow and not likely to cause your tort to flip over.

Your current water bowl is considered a tortoise death trap by many. As the tortoise climbs into it or out of it they can flip and drown even if the water is very shallow.

The substrate looks like coco coir. Thats a good substrate; holds moisture well and resists mold.

The lamp should point straight down.

Also, if you have two warming lamps, one one each end, are you able to have a cool end around 75 degrees?

Nice choice and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.