Keeps bumping the himself

Vitality

5 Year Member
Greek (male) I have a 40 gallon tank (glass) he keeps bumping himself along the back of the tank. I think its cause he sees his reflection or just cant understand its glass. how can I get a quick fix for this??

I plan to get him a tortoise palace once I can get enough money for it. the tank is just too small.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In the meantime, just wrap some paper around the lower portion of the tank so he can't see out.

Vitality

5 Year Member
I put some cardboard around the back. hes still been doin it.

"can" I put cardboard inside? that would block all the reflection

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
What he is trying to do is explore. The 40 gal is definitely small. Good sign he is active. ^_-v

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
it's not his reflection he's after it's the other side. Russian tortoises have very large territories in the wild and are always looking for more, especially I'm such a small enclosure.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
stinax182 said:
it's not his reflection he's after it's the other side. Russian tortoises have very large territories in the wild and are always looking for more, especially I'm such a small enclosure.

Yes! In the wild they travel as far as they can see. There is no such thing as "too big of an enclosure"

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
and the problem with him already having seen the other side of the glass it may take awhile before he forgets it after you cover it up. i highly suggest a tortoise table, even if you can't make it larger. wooden sides are better and a Russian tortoise will do well in one.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If the enclosure is new to your Greek, then give him some time to settle in....you can place some obstacles around the interior for him to hide under ....like go to a discount store/.99 cent store and purchase a bunch of silk/fake plants (avoid ones that are red/food color or have fake berries/fruit) and line some of his fav spots along the interior...

How deep is your substrate? If you are able to get a depth of about 4-6 inches that may help your tort utilize his energy digging vs climbing...:D

Vitality

5 Year Member
Greek Tortoise haha :tort:
hes been with me for about a year now. havnt really noticed cause I been at work and hes sleeping when I get home but now sadly, I got more time on my hands...

he always climbs up his little half log and tries to get out! he was bumping the screen lid thingy up. I had to actually lock it haha! the substrate is about 4 1/2 inches deep 6 in some spots.

found somebody selling a tortoise house for $50 and I snatched it up. good for now. thanks for all the info!

have any suggestions of what kinda real plants I can put in there??

Attachments

• 1520646_683494521670724_492420872_n.jpg
    1520646_683494521670724_492420872_n.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 61

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Okay...so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't take anything here as a personal attack :D okay...

I would remove that water dish thing---it can be a dangerous addition, yes, a tortoise can climb and a tortoise can move about in water---but that dish has abrupt sides and if a tort loses its footing (and they do this all of the time--imagine lugging a big clunky thing round in and out of the shower/bathtub...uggghhh) slipping does happen....you can use something like this;

http://www.hardwarestore.com/classi...tm_campaign=rkg&device=c&network=g&matchtype=

which allows the tort easy in and out without high sides...again, just a suggestion...

Also, you may want to replace the large clunky half log with a canopy of plants/silk plants for hiding under and which will take up less walking space....the best thing to do, in my opinion, is to offer up as much walking space as possible vs too many obstacles in a cozier space as you have there....you know what I mean???

Vitality

5 Year Member
I appreciate the advice!!! what kind of plants cant I get?? real plants. that I can plant inside cause its hard to find some plants here in Hawaii.

The water is not even half an inch deep. just enough to wet his feet a little. most of the time I seen him get into the water dish. then put up his two front foot out of the dish and poop like its a toilet haha. :tort: but I can take it out it is big.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Plants for inside which you can buy can be herbs like rosemary, thyme, oregano, lavender etc. With those you don't have to worry as much about planting them directly into the enclosure because they were meant for human consumption as well. Your tortoise won't eat them though.

Vitality

5 Year Member
what kind of plants cant I buy and put inside that he can eat? there are no covers in Hawaii that I could find or dandelions.

I use eco earth's coconut substrate and it says its good dirt to grow plants

Vitality

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1389741587.003300.jpg took out the water dish and put some fake plants I bought a long time ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vitality

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1389850506.891748.jpg hes posing next to his new cactus

Last edited by a moderator: