Keeping water bowl clean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelbymom

5 Year Member
My tortie's water bowl (large terra cotta saucer) is always filled with muddy, dirty, water because she walks through it. Substrate is mostly loam with some sand and coir mixed in. I have the bowl surrounded on all sides with with 6 inch slate pieces and then a layer of timothy hay 3 inches wide around the slate, that and yet she still drags dirt into the bowl making filthy. I feel like I'm always changing the water, ugh! Anybody have any suggestions?

Janine

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Move the bowl away from the side of the habitat. They make their rounds, walking along the edge of the habitat, and they don't go around anything. So when they get to the water, they just walk right through it. Just move it away far enough that the tortoise can fit between the wall and the bowl.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
What about a stair or ramp bowl plus the barrier between the water and substrate? I guess you can be glad the tort uses the water! Expect to change it 1-2 times a day, but some dirtiness is expected as they would have that in the wild anyways. It is fecal matter you have to worry about more, because of parasite infestations. Best wishes.

M

Maggie Cummings

Heck, I thought that was just part of tort keeping...:p

Shelbymom

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Move the bowl away from the side of the habitat. They make their rounds, walking along the edge of the habitat, and they don't go around anything. So when they get to the water, they just walk right through it. Just move it away far enough that the tortoise can fit between the wall and the bowl.

Yvonne

Ahh, ha! You're right, I do have it in the wrong spot, up against the outter wall. She does laps around the perimiter of the table. I will move it to the middle and see how that works out.

Thanks!!:shy:

maggie3fan said:
Heck, I thought that was just part of tort keeping...:p

Yes, we have a bit of a piglet on our hands!:D

tortoisenerd said:
What about a stair or ramp bowl plus the barrier between the water and substrate? I guess you can be glad the tort uses the water! Expect to change it 1-2 times a day, but some dirtiness is expected as they would have that in the wild anyways. It is fecal matter you have to worry about more, because of parasite infestations. Best wishes.

The reason for the larger bowl was so that she could soak a little if she wanted, that was why I didn't go with the ramp style. She's not pooping in it though, thank goodness. I've already changed it 3 times in 4 hours. Is that a bit neurotic? As you stated, in the wild they drink
dirty/silty water. I just looks gross.:p

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I've put Moose's water dish in the middle of his/her enclosure, even put pebbles around then removed them when the dish had dirt in it anyway, plus many days I have to pull Spring Mix that he/she has dragged into it...so, I agree with Maggie, it's part of tort-keeping. It also gives me another opportunity to interract, and get used to small changes in the environment, etc.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I clean out my water bowls 2 to 3 times a day depending.

Shelbymom

5 Year Member
katesgoey said:
I've put Moose's water dish in the middle of his/her enclosure, even put pebbles around then removed them when the dish had dirt in it anyway, plus many days I have to pull Spring Mix that he/she has dragged into it...so, I agree with Maggie, it's part of tort-keeping. It also gives me another opportunity to interract, and get used to small changes in the environment, etc.

You're right, I was just hoping that you guys had some enlightened tip on how to keep it clean.This morning I pulled out plantain leaves and grass that she had dragged through it. Oh well, clean water is overrated anyway, right. (insert sigh of frustration here)

Thanks!

Janine

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
well remember when we were kids and we would drink from the rusty and dirt covered hose in the front yard? mmm minerals and nutrients essential for a growing body.

Status
Not open for further replies.