Just purchased a tortoise from Petco and I'm slightly concern with my Russian.

Kevin Tran

5 Year Member
I purchased a Russian tortoise on 9/10/2016 (US date system) and am currently keeping him in a 50 gallon Rubbermaid with a topsoil-coconut coir mix with cypress mulch on top.

I am currently using a Zoo Med PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor Lamp 100 Watts with it being about 15 inches (38.1 cm) from the tortoise with the basking temperature being 83.3F (28.5C).

He has been at that position for about 16 hours and hasn't shown much activity. It looks like he has been sleeping the entire time. Initially when I put him in his enclosure. He walked the perimeter of the enclosure before finding that spot.

I have not soaked him yet.

Is this behavior normal?

IMAG0324.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi

The basking temperature is nowhere near warm enough. It needs to be 95-100F directly under the basking lamp

Please read the following written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information given out by many pet stores and, sadly, some vets and breeders too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

I'll post a lighting summary shortly

If you could post better pictures of your enclosure and lighting, we can help you perfect it for your new friend

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Here's a lighting summary:

Your tort needs:

1. A basking lamp
This must hang vertically, not at an angle. Basking is essential to raise your tortoise's core temperature so it can digest food.

2. UVB light
Read the instructions for the source to see how close to the substrate it must be. UVB is essential so your tort can process dietary calcium and have healthy bones and shell.

Both 1 and 2 are available from the sun for those able to live outside.

UVB does not pass through glass or perspex(plexiglass) - light must be direct to be effective not through a window. Mesh screening can also interfere with UVB.

3. A minimum overnight temperature (see the care sheet for your species - 65F for a Russian) and complete darkness at night to sleep.

Notes

(a) A Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) provides combined UVB and Basking. Alternatively you can use 2 bulbs: a tube UVB and a reflector bulb for basking (a household reflector - not low energy or halogen - from a hardware store will do the job; it's the wattage that counts)

(b) Ignore any references to UVA you may read - it's misleading marketing speak.

(c) Compact coil UVB harms tortoise eyes and must not be used.

(d) Basking and UVB should be on a timer so the light(s) are on for 12 hours a day. Temperature under the basking is regulated by its height above the substrate.

(e) Overnight, depending on your home, you may need additional heat. You get this from a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) which must be on a thermostat.

(f) Torts have outstanding colour vision and love red and purple food. Coloured heat lamps colour tank decor and torts don't always apply intelligence to what they eat, resulting them in eating tank decor. Coloured bulbs should not be used.

Measurements

There are 4 important temperatures that you must know for an indoor enclosure.
- Directly under the basking lamp
- Warm side
- Cool side
- Overnight Minimum

You will need digital thermometers for accuracy.

A temperature gun thermometer (inexpensive from Amazon) measures temperature accurately in specific places like directly under the basking lamp.

A min/max thermometer so you know the min/max temperatures in your home by day and night.

You should also get a good digital probe hygrometer to measure humidity.

Thermometers and hygrometer that stick to the side of the enclosure tend to be less accurate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kevin, and welcome to the Forum!

A 50 gallon tote isn't nearly big enough for a full grown Russian tortoise. The '50 gallon' designation means how much liquid the whole tote will hold. You don't care that it holds 50 gallons, you want something with a large floor space, not tall sides. If you could get another one identical to this one and cut out opposing ends and put them together, that MIGHT be big enough.

Does he have a hiding place? A lot of us use plastic flower pots cut in half lengthwise, or those wooden half logs you buy at the pet store.

What kind of food is that in his bowl? Is that what the pet store was feeding them? Russian tortoises eat broad leaf weeds and plants. If those pellets are grass pellets, I doubt he'll look at them as being something for him to eat.

Normally we say to give a new tortoise a few days or a couple weeks to get used to his new environment, but just sitting in the corner like that isn't normal. Double check the temperatures all over the floor of the habitat. Russian tortoises like it a bit cooler than other species, and he might be too hot. Away from the light it should be room temperature (70-75F or so).

Read this care sheet and make any changes required:

http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm