Just found a tortoise please help

Chell83

image.jpg Hi please help my husband was cycling home and found a tortoise about to cross the main road and get killed so has brought it home. We have no idea what kind it is what to do with it or where to keep it please help ?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
It looks to be a Hermann's tortoise. Kuddos to your hubby for getting him out of the road! Where are you located?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
He's probably someone's escaped pet - you might check the lost and found adds for your area.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would first set him up in an enclosure with dirt or coconut coir for a substrate. If you can get him out side a few hours a day with some shade available, you won't need a UVB light just yet. Then get a clay flower pot saucer for a water dish and something to use for a hide and get some food. Then I would start calling around to pet stores, vet clinics, animal rescues to see if anyone has called in about a lost tortoise. Also check the CL. Most likely it is someone's pet that got out, as I'm sure they are not native to where you live. Good luck and if you don't find the owner, welcome to the world of tortoise ownership. You won't be sorry:D

Chell83

I really am grateful for your help we already have loads of pets just have no experience with tortoises so am quite stressed and worried about it ;(

Wanda

10 Year Member!
South east UK
There are lots of tortoise facebook groups for he UK. It might be worth posting in there to spread word around, but don't include a picture so whoever tries to claim him has to give an accurate description

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Has to be someones pet :( you can buy spring mix salad at the store to feed for now. Weeds are much better for him but until you know which ones are safe, stick to spring mix. Try not to give too much spinach.... he is prob dehydrated so fill up a tote (big enough for him to move arround in) with warm water and let him soak for 15-20 mins. Keep the water level up to his neck making sure he can stick his head up. If you take a pic of the bottom of shell tail area we can tell you if its a boy or girl :) here is a great link to find safe things to feed :

http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Because of the pronounced 'skirt' around the bottom edge of the shell, I'm thinking the tortoise is a marginated tortoise. @HermanniChris will be able to tell you for sure.

Put up notices on the utility poles in the neighborhood where you found the tortoise, and advertise in the free classified's online and in the newspapers. But don't give out too much info, because there are lots of folks who try to get a free tortoise by telling you its theirs.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
100% a Hermann's tortoise, pronounced skirt makes it most likely a male. A plastron shot will tell what subspecies it is. Good save.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Try The Tortoise Protection Group and The Tortoise Trust to put out a 'found' ad. Both of them will also rehome if necessary.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
That is very kind of you to save this helpless creature!

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
That's a male and looks to be a hybrid Between Testudo hermanni hermanni and Testudo hermanni boettgeri. (western Hermanns X eastern Hermanns). Probably something like mom was pure western and dad was half and half. If you take more detailed shots including the head, supracaudal shield, bird's eye view etc...I can be sure.

Chell83

Does anyone know what I can do with him as I can't keep him Iv tried the tortoise websites but am waiting to hear back from them I'm not sure where else I can try ?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Does anyone know what I can do with him as I can't keep him Iv tried the tortoise websites but am waiting to hear back from them I'm not sure where else I can try ?
Keep him, you almost have to keep him until someone claims that it's his pet... Do NOT post his photo anywhere, just say "lost tortoise", when someone claims him ask about his features & type. Good luck :D

Smartie123

I'd take him to a vet and get him checked for a micro chip, I know when I got my little Donny the reptile place said most Uk breeders have them chipped so fingers crossed his owners registered there details.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
If you are unable to house him there are rescue groups that will take him.