Just a couple of ideas to keep your tortoise entertained

erinlyndon

upload_2016-10-23_13-24-53.jpeg
My first idea is getting an old multicolour pen (no ink inside) and using the the colour selection levers to hold the food, if that makes sense. Pebble loves this, she spends a lot of time trying to eat the food. If you have a bigger tortoise you could use one of those jumbo pens. Make sure there is nothing on it that they can ingest.upload_2016-10-23_13-30-26.jpeg
My second idea is just getting a stone with holes in it like this, I got mine from a beach. Not only does it entertain them but it will help with beak growth;)

Hope you like my ideas.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Good on you for thinking of your tortoises mental well-being!!!

Another way to hold the greens is to get some sort of clip (stationery stores or bird clip) and clip the greens up high on a wall of the habitat.

Lemonade

5 Year Member
Especially good for those indoor enclosures. Give them a chance to be hunter gatherers. :D

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Good ideas! And cute tortoise. What are the leaves in the first and second pictures?

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Wow! What amazing ideas! I am totally on a mission to find the right pen to use!
And that rock is coral! I cannot believe I left big pieces of coral just like that behind last time I was over on the beach. I'm really wishing I had a piece now.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I remember reading a post a while back about someone keeping a ping pong ball in there tortoise enclosure, and it supposedly liked to headbutt it around. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Some of them think it is an egg and it confuses them. However, I'm still tempted to try it.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I remember reading a post a while back about someone keeping a ping pong ball in there tortoise enclosure, and it supposedly liked to headbutt it around. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Tidgy has a golf ball sometimes.
She will bosh it about a bit occasionally at first, then just ignore it unless it's in her way.
Otherwise she just has her Nintendo and chess set.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hey, @Tidgy's Dad , your profile picture is changing every day!! Is the pictures from a movie or something?
hello!:)
Some of them have been from Doctor Who.
Today's avatar is a bonfire as it's Guy Fawkes night in the UK, when bonfires are lit and a figure is burned of the Guy who tried to blow up parliament and the King in the Gunpowder plot but was caught and executed.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Wow, I never knew about Guy Fawkes night. I've watched a few of the old Doctor Who's (the fourth doctor, particularly), but not the new ones. However, those creatures looked very Doctor Who-ey to me. :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Wow, I never knew about Guy Fawkes night. I've watched a few of the old Doctor Who's (the fourth doctor, particularly), but not the new ones. However, those creatures looked very Doctor Who-ey to me. :)
These were 3rd Doctor,1971.
Tidgy seems to like the title music sequence swirls, but her attention span doesn't last for a whole episode.
That's something else to keep a tortoise entertained.
Telly.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Tidgy has a golf ball sometimes.
She will bosh it about a bit occasionally at first, then just ignore it unless it's in her way.
Otherwise she just has her Nintendo and chess set.
Lola used to push a tennis ball about but then started to walk over it and it would get stuck under him.. I tried a bigger ball but then I read somewhere here that because balls are tort shaped (to a tortoise) they are actually a bit stressed by them so barge them as they would another tort.
Lola tends to ignore them now.
I have a play tunnel from Ikea that Lola likes to walk through and lie in the middle of.
I started off with this cat play tunnel (with all attached cat toys etc removed) and he liked that so got him a bigger version.

Attachments

• Photo0598_001.jpg
    Photo0598_001.jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 46