JR CHERRY STARTING TO MARBLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
This is a nice shot of one of the Jr. cherrys who now is a strong 6" ...is really starting to show "her" Marbling...as well as excellent coloring...
JRchERYMAR.jpg

JD~:)

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
Very pretty!! Look at that gorgeous red head :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Beautiful. I think Pio's marbling is starting to get a little darker from being outside all summer. I LOVE marbling.

-JM

5 Year Member
How pretty!
I'm not sure if this has been discussed or answered somewhere else, but what causes marbling? Is it genetic or....??

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
-JM said:
How pretty!
I'm not sure if this has been discussed or answered somewhere else, but what causes marbling? Is it genetic or....??

Its all in the " jeans"...... :p

-JM

5 Year Member
Fascinating!
(I took a couple of genetics classes my junior year; the way stuff like this shows up is amazing!)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
luck102573 said:
At what size do they start to marble?
Of the ones I own ...
Most tend to start showing around 2yrs old ...to notice any really dramatic changes ... it just depends on each individual.The one in the pic .. I recieved around 3" ... and that was 3 years ago ... now she is about 6" ...and Ive really started to see more of it "show" ...

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
-JM said:
Do they all marble?

NO...... just depends on genetics .... here another example from a different gene line ..
ultra1.jpg

-JM

5 Year Member
WOW! that's one gorgeous tort! I can see where breeding for marbling characteristics might be desirable.

TORTOMANIA

5 Year Member
BUFFALO NY
i wonder if it's caused by inbreeding, like in whitetail deer. they will start to marble and eventually down the line turn all white.
I have witnessed these beutiful animals with my own eyes.

luck102573

5 Year Member
Iowa
I got that new red foot and they were not sure if it was a cherry head. How will I be able to tell? Do I have to wait till it gets bigger to find out.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
TORTOMANIA said:
i wonder if it's caused by inbreeding, like in whitetail deer. they will start to marble and eventually down the line turn all white.
I have witnessed these beutiful animals with my own eyes.

HUH? ..... Inbreeding? ....ummmm no..but if you do select animals that have these traits and breed them together " of course the chances of the marbeling trait will show. Its called Genectics ...and pulling a recessive gene is in this case the " marbeling". Since most cherrys/rf's ...are darker in color .
In humans ... here might be an example.
If everyone in your family for the past 4 generations has had brown hair and brown eyes, but your new little sister comes out with green eyes, the gene that caused the green eyes are the recessive gene. It is the gene that is not dominate.
If she mates with a Green eyed male ...Most likely their baby would have green eyes.... and so on .....
fun huh ?:p

luck102573 said:
I got that new red foot and they were not sure if it was a cherry head. How will I be able to tell? Do I have to wait till it gets bigger to find out.

Post a pic of the plastron ... is one way we can help . There are other tell tell signs.....but thats a great start!

TORTOMANIA

5 Year Member
BUFFALO NY
In whitetail deer if they inbreed for enough generations, you get whats called a piebald which is marbled.
I'm not saying you can't cross certain animals to get others that represent the two you crossed, but where did the original genetics come from.
Albino genes is what they are starting to show, which is actually a breakdown in genetics.
I don't know alot about this subject. I do own a brilliant marbled cherryhead. i will post pics 2 morrow
Where cherryheads created in captivity?, because if they were it would mean they all originated from a fairly small gene pool

-JM

5 Year Member
Actually, albinism isn't a "breakdown"--it's just a different code in the sequence of nucleic acids. It changes from coding for the pigment "melanin" to coding to "NO melanin" Which can cause some problems with tolerance to sunlight and rate of predation, but not because of instability in the genome.

The reason that traits such as albinism show up more frequently in inbred animals is because of the similarity of the combining genomes. It greatly increases the odds that a trait will show up, but that's not the only way it can occur

Edit: Remind me about this in a couple of weeks and I will look up the chapter in my genetics book so I can tell you in better, more specific detail. I don't have my book with me right now.

TORTOMANIA

5 Year Member
BUFFALO NY
that's why it's good to have smart college educated people here
that makes sense
I would like to know more about this, and i think alot of other people would too

-JM

5 Year Member
Inbreeding can also increase the chance of spontaneous mutation, but I don't know as much about that off the top of my head. Again, when I can get to my text book I will happily look it up for you!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
-JM said:
Actually, albinism isn't a "breakdown"--it's just a different code in the sequence of nucleic acids. It changes from coding for the pigment "melanin" to coding to "NO melanin" Which can cause some problems with tolerance to sunlight and rate of predation, but not because of instability in the genome.

The reason that traits such as albinism show up more frequently in inbred animals is because of the similarity of the combining genomes. It greatly increases the odds that a trait will show up, but that's not the only way it can occur

Edit: Remind me about this in a couple of weeks and I will look up the chapter in my genetics book so I can tell you in better, more specific detail. I don't have my book with me right now.
JM ~
OH YEA!!!!!... DATS what iam talking about!:p
SCIENCE RULES!
^5

TORTOMANIA said:
that's why it's good to have smart college educated people here
that makes sense
I would like to know more about this, and i think alot of other people would too

Mania ' ... a GREAT BOOK ... is " Genetics For Herpers" ... By Charles Pritzel .....
EXCELLENT ..and pretty easy to follow . A Must in my words ... for any persons wanting to learn genetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.