Jacoby Male or Female??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortNewbie

5 Year Member
I have no idea how old he is but its worth a shot I guess.
Hes about 8 or 9 inches long if that says anything. :D

Attachments

• Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 76
  • Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 126
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 93

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's a tough one. The gular is very short (female), the line between the anal and femoral scutes is wavy (female), however, the tips of the anal scutes sort of point out instead of straight back or in. Out means male.

The tortoise may be in the process of sexually developing, and all those signs change a bit during the process. Give him a couple more pounds and lets try again.

TortNewbie

5 Year Member
Again I have no clue the age so thats why I thought I should post it on here and see what others think.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its size, not age usually.

Looking female to me right now too.

TortNewbie

5 Year Member
I was told male but I wasn't positive so I thought I would post.
Its interesting the things you can learn in a day. :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It might have looked male a few months ago.

Sometimes you can tell early on, but most of the time they have to get a little closer to maturity for the hormones to kick in and give them the secondary sexual characterisitcs. Yours is starting to change now. I think it will prove to be female. Time will tell for sure though.

TortNewbie

5 Year Member
That makes sense. :)
Glad to get some feed back and I guess Jacoby is not an appropriate name anymore. :p

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
TortNewbie said:
Glad to get some feed back and I guess Jacoby is not an appropriate name anymore. :p

Keep the name if you like it though. I've had Bowser's names picked out before she was even hatched and when I learned that she was a she I couldn't change it. If I take her out with me I'm tempted to put a pink bow on her head though, lol :p

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I'm going to have to go against the stream and say Male. The Anal Scutes have already started forming a stong "V". It would be very difficult to pass an egg though that formation but there is still alot of growth to go.

TortNewbie

5 Year Member
drgnfly2265 said:
TortNewbie said:

Keep the name if you like it though. I've had Bowser's names picked out before she was even hatched and when I learned that she was a she I couldn't change it. If I take her out with me I'm tempted to put a pink bow on her head though, lol :p

I had a girl name picked out incase he was a she so its all good :)

Katherine

5 Year Member
Zamric said:
I'm going to have to go against the stream and say Male. The Anal Scutes have already started forming a stong "V". It would be very difficult to pass an egg though that formation but there is still alot of growth to go.

+1 I would said at this point it looks very much like a male and would be tentative in my response only because the tortoise is definitely still changing and different sexual characteristics may develop over the next few pounds and inches. I usually base my gender guess heavily on the anal scutes, so I am actually surprised at the number of people who guessed female.

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
katherine said:
Zamric said:

+1 I would said at this point it looks very much like a male and would be tentative in my response only because the tortoise is definitely still changing and different sexual characteristics may develop over the next few pounds and inches. I usually base my gender guess heavily on the anal scutes, so I am actually surprised at the number of people who guessed female.

It looks male to me at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.