image-1883126666.png
    193 KB · Views: 19
  • image-4222924096.png
    image-4222924096.png
    950.1 KB · Views: 22

yarok

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Tractor Supply just got in a shipment of chicks and ducklings. I absolutely LOVE ducklings. But, sadly, I can't have ducks in the pond with the turtles. The ducks are very destructive and I'd be digging the mud out of the pond continuously. I love it when my self control wins out! But they were SO cute!!!

Ducklings are awsome. I hope to one day build myself a turtle pond. I love turtle ponds.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Very cute. Has the hubby seen them yet? I bet he fell in love all over again right :p:D LOL

No he's in Wyoming. Will be there for a while too

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, New York
It took Joe a minute to notice that River (my new hatchling SL Star) was in the tank with Becky... Who would think that he would look into the tank... It took him longer to notice that I got a puppy. He thought that it was one of my girl friend's puppy, and thought it strange when they left and the puppy stayed... LOL! Enjoy your new little family members, they are really cute.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
This may be a dumb question, but are gerbils the same thing as mice?

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Cute little gerbils! They can be very sweet animals, and are highly social, so it's great that you got them in a group.

A few things;
Is that pine in there? If so, I'd switch it out for aspen, pine is really bad for pretty much every animal/reptile in the world because of it's aromatic oils. Same goes for cedar.

You definitely want to put a lot more bedding in! Gerbils lovelovelove to burrow, so they should have a few inches at least. I know that will be hard in a 20L, but you can always have a gradient, thick at one end, thin at the other.

And finally, do you have a wheel for them? The little guys are very active and will appreciate a wheel more than you realize!

Also, as I'm sure you are already learning, they are crazy chewers. It's most economical to give them a variety of cardboard and wood toys/houses because they are cheap to replace. Try to avoid plastic, it's not too good if they accidentally ingest it. Glass waterbottles are nearly a must for Gerbs. (-:

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
I have to bring them back cuz I got a gunea pig today and hubby said we have too many animals and my daughter chose the guinea pig over the gerbils :(

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Awww. That sucks. :( Can't just hide them in a closet? ;)

(By the way, are you thinking about getting a second guinea pig? They are REALLY social. And don't fall into the trap of buying commercial cages at the pet store. Just like with torts, they just aren't big enough for guinea pigs. http://www.guineapigcages.com/ is a great resource..)

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Floof said:
Awww. That sucks. :( Can't just hide them in a closet? ;)

(By the way, are you thinking about getting a second guinea pig? They are REALLY social. And don't fall into the trap of buying commercial cages at the pet store. Just like with torts, they just aren't big enough for guinea pigs. http://www.guineapigcages.com/ is a great resource..)

I thought about hiding them lol but I feel kinda bad cuz I already said I would take them back :( yes I saw that website earlier I'm trying to think of somewhere I could find those cubes and the liner local to me. I only have my car and that cryoplast (however its spelled) stuff doesn't bend :( so he MAY have to live in something smaller for a little while. I did think about getting two BUT I didn't like any of the other ones there. But there is another place with some baby male guinea pigs. I wonder if it would be ok to have the two together since they are different ages?

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Yes, you can introduce guinea pigs of separate ages, but especially with males (they can be territorial) you NEED to have the biggest possible cage. And Coroplast does bend, it is shipped in rolls, I don't know why you thought that. If you cannot find somewhere local I would just order the supplies or the un-assembled cage off line, there are a few different websites that sell them.

If not having at least 2 guinea pigs and a big cage is something that is do-able for you the kindest thing would be to return the pig you have now. The gerbils may be a better bet for you, as they do not need nearly nearly as large of a space.

Guinea pigs are not as easy of a pet as people initially think, you can't give them sugar snacks, seeds or much fruit (they are highly prone to diabetes and obesity) and they need access to a high quality pellet and be free fed high quality hay (not alfalfa) daily. Do NOT under any circumstances get liquid vitamins or vitamin C for their water, it will do more harm than good. They will get all the vit. c they need through proper diet and supplementation of high C veggies such as green bell peppers.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
NudistApple said:
Yes, you can introduce guinea pigs of separate ages, but especially with males (they can be territorial) you NEED to have the biggest possible cage. And Coroplast does bend, it is shipped in rolls, I don't know why you thought that. If you cannot find somewhere local I would just order the supplies or the un-assembled cage off line, there are a few different websites that sell them.

If not having at least 2 guinea pigs and a big cage is something that is do-able for you the kindest thing would be to return the pig you have now. The gerbils may be a better bet for you, as they do not need nearly nearly as large of a space.

Guinea pigs are not as easy of a pet as people initially think, you can't give them sugar snacks, seeds or much fruit (they are highly prone to diabetes and obesity) and they need access to a high quality pellet and be free fed high quality hay (not alfalfa) daily. Do NOT under any circumstances get liquid vitamins or vitamin C for their water, it will do more harm than good. They will get all the vit. c they need through proper diet and supplementation of high C veggies such as green bell peppers.

Thanks for the advice I had actually purchased some vit C drops today but won't use them. I did however but the LARGEST cage they had it's 40+ inches long just to have somewhere to keep him until I get his other home built :D I AM going to get another male soon also :)

Also I bought the highest quality food they had available it's got omega 3 in it as well. When I get an animal I strive to take the best possible care of it and put everything I have into that animals well being as well :)

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
What food did you get? The Oxbow is the highest quality brand available at most petstores. I highly suggest buying it in larger bags from Nationalpetpharmacy.com, drfosters&smith or petfoodfirect. You will get very, very steep discounts.

The big issue with the vitamin C is that (though water soluable, so you can never OD on it)there is NO way to regulate how much they are actually getting. It also degrades within hours of being put into the water. It also flavours the water, and will often put the pigs off drinking, and as I'm sure you know, dehydration is a huge issue with small mammals.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, I've kept guinea pigs the vast majority of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.