It's time to move on

Joe Stevens

Location (City and/or State)
Neptune
if you don't know about 1 month ago I lost my tortoise Spike, if you want more information you can look at the post. He's clearly not nearby, since I've spent countless amounts of money on services to help find him, and spent all my free time looking. I've decided it's time to move on and look for a new tort. Worst case scenario is I have two tortoises which isn't that bad. If anyone has a sulcata or similar tortoise looking for a home please let me know, thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The thing about lost turtles and tortoises is people just don't seem to realize that they belong to someone. When people find dogs or cats they immediately try to find the owner. But when they find a tortoise they say, "oh, look...a tortoise. Let's put him in the back yard."

I'm so sorry you've lost Spike. If that's him in your avatar picture he was a fine-looking tortoise and I can quite understand why someone has kept him rather than try to find you. In my opinion, losing a tortoise the way you have is much worse than having him die. At least when he dies you know what happened to him.

I don't know the rescue situation in "Neptune," but if you're anywhere near SoCal, there are several chapters of the California Turtle and Tortoise Club down there and they almost always have sulcatas looking for homes. You can find the chapters by doing a web search for "California Turtle and Tortoise club Chapters" And good luck. I hope you find a good one.

Joe Stevens

Neptune
Thank you agree, all I can really do is hope he is ok, I will check, thank you again

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry you haven't gotten him back yet. Do you know how he got out and has it all been fixed so it can't happen again? If it was a possibly theft, remedies should be made for that not to happen again too.
Good luck finding a new shelled friend. Be prepared to have two, cuz you know, the minute you get a new one, your lost one will show up. Not a bad thing, just a be prepared thing.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Sorry to hear it Joe , lets all hope whoever may have found and kept Spike will be good to him !

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
You never know. Don't give up :( I hope your worst case scenario comes true

Joe Stevens

Neptune
Thank you all for your help. I've found a sulcata tortoise named max that someone gave me because he was too high priority. In my opinion buying a tortoise is the worst thing you can do because most likely it's a stolen tortoise that someone's looking to make money off of. They gave me the tortoise for free which showed me they were nice people. His name is max, I have one final question. I'm going to put padlocks on the gates and things to make sure he doesn't get stolen, I also want a way to identity him as mine. I could microchip him but I also want a way for someone to contact me if they find him and don't have a micrchip scanner. One of my friends put sharpie on but someone else said that damages him so they said glue a dog tag on, but someone else said that will hurt him which do I do?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can glue an I.D. tag onto the middle of a scute. Just make sure you don't get the glue on any of the new growth areas:

DSCN0604_zpswq6fz6bh.jpg