Issues with cleaning tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
We have one of those suction hoses that hooks to the faucet, it seems to be almost completely worthless, it plugs easy and barely sucks when it is working. What do other people use to clean the goo up?

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I use a regular, old garden hose to siphon the tanks. It's about a 5 ft section I cut off an old hose. It works better than the thirty dollar rip offs from the pet supply stores. Maybe because it 5/8" diameter?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have mine in an outdoor enclosure but I use a wet/dry vac myself works pretty good IMHO. I got a great deal on one last year.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I don't have any inside any more, but when I did I used the wet/dry vac. I used the contents to water my garden. My flowers were unbelievable!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Python syphon.. it hooks up to the garden hose and not the sink and works great! suction is good and then you can reverse it and re fill if your water is good to use.
its costs a bit more, has different lengths of hose you can get and I have had great luck with mine.
I use it for my fish tank and it sucks up the gravel enough to clean it but not suck it out.

Ruby's Mom

5 Year Member
harris said:
I use a regular, old garden hose to siphon the tanks. It's about a 5 ft section I cut off an old hose. It works better than the thirty dollar rip offs from the pet supply stores. Maybe because it 5/8" diameter?

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S MY PAYCHECK YOUR MESSIN' WITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Minnesota
Ruby said:
harris said:

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S MY PAYCHECK YOUR MESSIN' WITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry, I bought a 30 dollar rip off from the petstore.

Ruby's Mom

5 Year Member
I actually have one of those tetra waterfall looking corner filters in with my girls, and then use a syphon hose to empty the water out, then when it's nice outside, carry the tank out and hose it out and wipe it out with a scrunchy sponge. Otherwise prop it up at an angle and wash and rinse it out with buckets. I hope to build a nice decent escape proof enclosure with a pond sometime in our yard. The girls move everything around no matter how heavy it is and Moose has already destroyed a screen top from trying to climb out. And when the package says heavy-duty break proof submersible heater, blockade it off anyway!!!!! I lost count of how many they managed to knock free and crack! even with a divider.

we have natural springs flowing all over the back yard, and with a heavy rain I end up with a lake out front.

Just looked, I don't have any pictures of my slider setup on this computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.