Is Timothy pellets(for rabbit) okay for hermann tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

z901

5 Year Member
I'm korean so my english is so terrible!

i looking for the appropriate main feeder to feed my hermann tortoise.

Is Timothy pellets(for rabbit) okay for hermann tortoises?

I heared the story about gramineous plant is not good to the Mediterranean Sea tortoise because that is including silicon dioxide.

is that true?

here is the materials chart of the pellet.

-crude protein 5% over
-fibroid materials 16% over
-crude ash 10% under
-water contents 15% under
-acid detergent fiber 19% under
-neutral detergent fiber 39% under

i'll looking forward your answer!
sorry about my english is so terrible.. very sorry!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi 'Z', and welcome to the Forum!!

My English is not so good either, so we're compatible!! :D

I don't think the pellets you suggest is a good diet for a Hermann's tortoise. Here's a bit I copied from the 'net, Austin's Turtle Page:

"The best diet is a natural one that allows the tortoise to graze on various weeds and greens. Such things as dandelion, bindweed, opuntia cactus, sedum, plantains (the weed, not the fruit known as plaintain), coreopsis, hibiscus, mulberry leaves, California poppy, mallow, honeysuckle, some vetches, some clovers, bermuda grass, and many other wildflowers and weeds can be grown in an outdoor tortoise pen. It is also possible to grow many wildflowers and weeds indoors and in greenhouses so that your tortoise does not have to rely on grocery store greens, especially in winter. Anything the tortoise might graze on must be pesticide free.

If fed grocery store produce, it should be mixed into a salad and may include endive, escarole, shredded carrot, kale, opuntia, occasional romaine, and occasional pumpkin. The mixed salad diet is low in fiber so it is helpful to sprinkle with bermuda grass hay that has been ground to a powder (a coffee grinder works well). Dust the food with calcium daily, and if the tortoise isn't kept outdoors in natural sunlight, also use a combination calcium-D3 product a couple of times a week. It is also helpful to keep a cuttlebone (with the back removed) in the enclosure so your tortoise can nibble on it if she or he feels the need for more calcium.

Foods to avoid (or to use in very *tiny* amounts) because they interfere with the uptake of calcium: spinach, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, beans, peas, cauliflower, collard greens, beet greens, turnip greens, mustard greens. Fruit also should be avoided because the hermanns tortoise's digestive system can't process it."

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO and I
Agree your English is great and so is your concern for your tortoises and if someone don't like it tell them" @&$@&$@&$ " have a great day

Status
Not open for further replies.