Is this tortoise shell rot or growth?

jennanne

ImageUploadedByTortForum1388546638.234199.jpg
So this is peanut my red footed tortoise. I've had him for ten years, this has been on his shell for quite some time...didn't think it was a problem, but I just wanted to check before driving hours away to a vet. He acts normally--nothing off about his behavior.

Last edited by a moderator:

snaofreno

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Reno, Nevada
My CDT has had this for years. I don't know what it is either. I have tried to scrub it off but it always returns.

jennanne

Yes it's not soft though. Is it harmful? He has had it for so long, no problems over his ten years

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It looks like new growth to me . White line between the scutes is new growth. If it was a fungal infection it would be on top of the scutes and in between . Can you post a full pictures of the tortoise .

jennanne

ImageUploadedByTortForum1388548136.105486.jpg I would be quite relieved if it was just growth

ImageUploadedByTortForum1388548580.329894.jpganother picyure

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks like new growth too me. However, your tortoise looks very dry. Are you providing humidity?

jennanne

I spray his cage everyday and give him baths. We have a mister but it doesn't work very well. Is there another way to keep his cage moist?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Make sure temps are correct and then you can pour warm water into the corners of the enclosure, letting the lower layers get wet, yet keeping the top layer dry. Then also do your spray misting of your tort and the top layer a bit. They are more prone to shell rot, so you do have to take care of not letting the top layer get too wet and not letting it stay wet for long periods.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Post pictures of the enclosure . A tortoise that big needs a big enclosure . Keeping a big enclosure humidity levels up is hard to do inside your house . What I do for my big guys is I made a big enclosure on the floor of my garage . Lined it with plastic and filled it with dirt . Every day I pour five gallons of water in a corner . I have three heaters going to keep it in the high 80s . Soak them every other day . My humidity in my garage is 70 /80 give or take . I will also pour water in the low spot I made to make a mud hole for them to cool down in .

jennanne

My tortoise spends most of his time walking around our house. We closed off the kitchen do he can roam around and bask in real sunlight. His cage is mostly for nighttime purposes. Should that not be how he lives?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1388550785.730394.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1388550837.631623.jpg This is his enclosure. It was big enough when he was little, but should it be bigger? And it is made of wood

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Do you livr in a house with a back yard so you can make him an outdoor enclosure ?

jennanne

We have too many animals that live in our backyard like raccoons and skunks. It would make me so nervous to put him out there. Would a larger tortoise table be a better idea?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jennanne:

Your tortoise is used to the life you have been providing for him, however, it really isn't the life that should be provided. When you think about where redfooted tortoises come from, then compare that geographical area to the inside of your house, can you see the difference?

The new growth on your tortoise is very dry. It should be supple and flexible. It's dry because the tortoise is not being kept properly. Even when he's in his habitat, its not the right sort of place for him. Please take a look at this enclosure for redfoot tortoises:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-11023.html

Can you see the difference between how your tortoise is living and how 'Dale' is living?

jennanne

So it's definitely time for a new enclosure. But does that mean e can never walk around with us again? Peanut is part of the family and loves being around us, and I feel like taking that away from him would be horrible. Maybe just not an all day thing anymore?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It needs a big humid enclosure . We don't think a tortoise walking around the house is a good thing but it is working out for you . The only way to stop pyramiding is a hot humid enclosure . You could build him a nice out door enclosure with a screen top to keep him safe . Then bring him into the enclosure at night .

jennanne

I just don't think he'd like being away from us. He loves being near us; he even climbs in our laps. I'd hate to take that away from him, but I don't want to hurt him either

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You can hang out but he needs to be a tortoise .

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Not only is your floor the wrong type of environment, but it is full of dangers...doors and feet, foreign bodies that might be ingested, etc. You can make a great table for him, and maybe have him out in your laps, etc. for a hour or so, and of course reach in to his enclosure to give him some lovin' now and then. He'll have plenty of fun in a new house, even if he misses his people a bit at first...It really is much healthier and safer for him. It sounds like he has a fantastic, loving family. :)

jennanne

Thanks StarSapphire22, we love him a lot [SMILING FACE WITH HEART-SHAPED EYES] But it does sound like it's time for an upgrade. Are there any websites that have information on what to build it with, how to build, live plant decorations, etc. ?