Is this Sulcata?

donmacho

I was looking for leopard tortoise's pictures and I found these.

is this Sulcata or Leopard cross?

e0099576_1852987.jpg e0099576_18522644.jpg e0099576_18523640.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Judging by the the photos you've provided, this looks to be a sulcata to me. And based on the the back end rub marks of the scutes, I'd say a female with potentially fertilized eggs as well.
But more than that, what's the story with her? She looks in good shape, over 20 years, and in a pet shop? Were they identifying this as a leopard tortoise?

donmacho

Judging by the the photos you've provided, this looks to be a sulcata to me. And based on the the back end rub marks of the scutes, I'd say a female with potentially fertilized eggs as well.
But more than that, what's the story with her? She looks in good shape, over 20 years, and in a pet shop? Were they identifying this as a leopard tortoise?
the pics are old 2003.
She was in a group called Somalia tortoise.(imported all together)
most of them looked like a leopard tortoise but big.

I have not much information of those. google dosen't work well since its too old.:(

donmacho

if she is a sulcata, is anyone breeding that kind of sulcata i?
I just like her shape so much.:<3:

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
This is a Somalian leopard tortoise. In other words, "none-hundred" percent sulcata.

Some people refer to the type as a faux subspecies called "somalicus" (which I like as a differentiating label for the regional variant, but it is not real as a subspecific label).

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Also, Donmacho, it is basically the same regional variant as your very nice Ethiopian juvenile. Feed yours well and it will also provide you with a similar shape.