Is this Shell Rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsherlock

5 Year Member
Hi friends,

Please look at these photos of Margot and tell me if you think this is the beginning of something bad, or if I'm overreacting. Do you see the dry-looking patch right in the center of her plastron?

Thanks for your input!

_MG_0040.jpg_MG_0036.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can see what your talking about. I will just try to give your thread a bump for more exposure. I really can't help you. What ever it is, if anything. I think you caught it early which is very good on your part. Hope all is fine, beautiful coloring on your tort. Here come the bump.

dsherlock

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I can see what your talking about. I will just try to give your thread a bump for more exposure. I really can't help you. What ever it is, if anything. I think you caught it early which is very good on your part. Hope all is fine, beautiful coloring on your tort. Here come the bump.

Thanks for the bump!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
It does seem to be a start to some shell rot. How moist is your substrate? This early on, all you need to do is clean is with water first then scrub it with some betadine or chlorahexidine solution. Both available at walgreens, Hibiclens is the chlorohexidine solution and betadine is just sold as betadine. Betadine is alot more expensive but has best results. Scrub the plastron with a soft toothbrush then rinse and pat dry with gauze pad and do this till it is gone. Make sure your substrate isnt too wet because this will keep reocurring.

excellent looking girl cherry by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.