is this s good diet for a baby sulcata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cberg45

5 Year Member
ok ive been reading around and many people have told me to not feed hay to the hatchlings. many poeple have also said to just give them spring mix that you can get at a local market. Now will i need to add anything to the spring mix? i think i will need to add some fruits and thats it. im still not 100% sure whats in the spring mix so if you could can you help me out. cause i know they need hay in there diet but can the spring mix take out hay for the first couple of months?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Spring mix, kale, mustard greens, collard greens, hibiscus flower and leaf, roses, opitunia cactus pads, dandelion greens, curley endive, romaine, to name a few. Also Mazuri tortoise food, soaked in water. Natural grazing outside, safe grasses and weeds. Check out thetortoisetable.org for other safe plants. A wide varied diet is important. If you haven't yet, read the threads at the bottom of my post. They are all very helpful in raising a healthy, happy, smooth tort.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Stick to mostly greens. Spring Mix is a good base, but add some other greens in there: mustard greens, turnip greens, collard greens, etc.

Hay is not bad for them. Its just that hatchlings tend not to eat it because its so tough. Try the Orchard Grass hay commonly sold for rabbits. Its a little softer.

Keep fruits and other vegetables to a minimum...like one every couple weeks.

You can also grow you own little grass sprouts for them to eat. Haven't done it myself, but lots have. Apparently, easy enough to do.

tortle

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
It's not that you shouldn't feed hay to hatchlings. It's that they won't really eat them because it's too tough for them. It would be great for them to eat hay starting so young. Try soaking it a little and see if they will eat it. If not, you'll just have to wait till they get a little older.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
and even mGet them on Mazuri and mix your grasses and weeds into it! Also, offer them grass and weeds solo! Try to avoid store bought salads as they tend to lose most of their nutritional value upon cultivation...and even more during processing. It's not difficult to grow your own dandelions, chicory, arugula, endive and escarole! And, for God's sake...DON'T FEED FRUIT!

Status
Not open for further replies.