Is this normal?

Location (City and/or State)
Olean NY
Update on Lewis,

1) I changed his substrate adding about 1.5 times as much this time so he has more room to dig. I plan to replace it again as his condition gets better.

2) he eats orchard Grass, collard greens, turnip greens and kale. They are the only things I can get my hands on greens wise no endive or arugula at my grocery stores. He gets mostly orchard grass, he eats it pretty well I am surprised. I soak it a little to add some moisture.

3) he has had his 9th shot

4) I've been soaking him once a day, he has not passed any urates since I started soaking him.
Here is the boy himself, enjoying a good nap in the uvb light. He's got a pretty solid sleep schedule, napping around the same time everyday.
He still wheezes but I noticed it almosy entirely goes away when he's sleeping. I'm not so concerned about it anymore, it's just strange. But as of right now I do not think we will be returning to the vet.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Sounds like he's getting better. Really happy to hear that!

Did you sort out the temperature/humidity things? (thermostats and more substrate helped, I suppose).

Olean NY

Did you sort out the temperature/humidity things? (thermostats and more substrate helped, I suppose).

Here he is, I feel like his breathing has improved but it's hard to tell because it wasn't really that bad to begin with. I'm just very unsure what's causing jt. I changed the substrate, upped the humidity and have been soaking him daily.
It stays around 88 all day and night

Attachments

• 20231215_124417.jpg
    20231215_124417.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231215_124413.jpg
    20231215_124413.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
When he breathes out do snot bubbles come from his nares.? I have a tortoise who has had a continuing breathing problem. I just got the idea to put nasal drops in his nares...and it worked on him just the same as it works on us...you might try it...just otcDSCN1780.JPG

Olean NY
When he breathes out do snot bubbles come from his nares.? I have a tortoise who has had a continuing breathing problem. I just got the idea to put nasal drops in his nares...and it worked on him just the same as it works on us...you might try it...just otcView attachment 364212
He does not have snot bubbles In the nares. What type of nasal drops did you use? Where could I get them

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Such risk exists, yes. Although it very minimal (never heard of such cases in person). Keep the radiator on a distance from flammable materials (wood, clothes, cardboard and such) and do not cover it from above. Do not run radiator on top capacity 24/7 (temperature and power knobs).

Yet to be honest, current setup with 4 CHE lamps on top of a wooden enclosure poses more danger.

Smoke and fire alarms are good for the purpose too. As a fridge or any other electrical device can have a short circuit and cause fire.
I have an outside shed
He does not have snot bubbles In the nares. What type of nasal drops did you use? Where could I get them
I just used a cheap one bought at the pharmacy. But if he doesn't have bubbles why use the drops? I wouldn't...

Olean NY
I have an outside shed

I just used a cheap one bought at the pharmacy. But if he doesn't have bubbles why use the drops? I wouldn't...
I won't
Do you have a lot of sulcatas? Do any of them make a sound when you breathe for no concerning reason?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Alex...
I have a tort shed about 50 yards from my house. One day after being in town I went to check on my tortoises and I went into the shed just in time to see a fire to start. A che had burned thru 3/4" plywood and was just starting the insulation on fire...I went into my tort room in my house one day to see a che had fallen face down and was burning the rug. So now I fasten any light with zipties. I am very lucky I caught the fires early...

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Alex...
I have a tort shed about 50 yards from my house. One day after being in town I went to check on my tortoises and I went into the shed just in time to see a fire to start. A che had burned thru 3/4" plywood and was just starting the insulation on fire...I went into my tort room in my house one day to see a che had fallen face down and was burning the rug. So now I fasten any light with zipties. I am very lucky I caught the fires early...
That's truly an incredible luck... And exactly what I was talking about - CHEs are more likely to start the fire, than oil-filled radiator (unless it's running maxed out 24 hours a day, of course).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's truly an incredible luck... And exactly what I was talking about - CHEs are more likely to start the fire, than oil-filled radiator (unless it's running maxed out 24 hours a day, of course).
Oil filled radiators is what I use to heat my tort shed. They are on thermostats. However, in Chicago winters, they are mostly on 24/7. They really can't start a fire, as they have a over heat safety and they shut off if tipped over.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oil filled radiators is what I use to heat my tort shed. They are on thermostats. However, in Chicago winters, they are mostly on 24/7. They really can't start a fire, as they have a over heat safety and they shut off if tipped over.
mine too. My guy built a shelf about 2 feet up so the tortoises can't tip it over100_0781.JPG