Is this normal growth???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelarned

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
So I've had this leo and its sibling for 2 months. They were almost a month when I got them. I have fed them a diet of spring mix, escarole, endive, and occasional dandelions. I sprinkle CA powder on them every other day and have tried to introduce them to grassland and mazuri pellets.

They have a UVB bulb that is approx, 12-15 inches from them. Have been keeping the temp around 80-85ish in their enclosure and have been doing my best to keep them moist and humid.

It appears to me that there is a lack of growth between the 1st and the 2nd center scute. The growth seems much less then around the other scutes.

Does this look like a problem? Any suggestions?

Profile.jpg
Topshot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I see what you are talking about. I'm not sure if it's a husbandry issue, but in some cases tortoises just have issues where their scutes don't grow at the same rate. I've never experienced where the problem continued into adulthood, but my experience is limited, so I hope someone who has more info will respond.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I've noticed that kind of thing on a bunch of leopards.... maybe others I just never paid attention. This is strickly a theory of mine but I'm guessing when it grows it has to spread apart and dome up as well in the leopards. Due to the doming and spreading and developing internal stuff it grows funny but eventually evens out. Again... this is just a guess so... yeah :D Either way cute looking baby!

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
HI, These babies are still very young, and there may be nothing at all to worry about, but I have a 5" one with the same condition, and was told MBD. Your uvb seems close to me, is it flourescent? I have read that these aren't the best.Calcium - d3 or not? Perhaps their diet needs tweaking. Not much fiber there. Personally, I am not a fan of the salad diet. Can you find opuntia locally? What's the temp? I never let mine get below 80. I think that vigilance can prevent problems from escalating, but I am somewhat obsessive about these things.

kelarned

5 Year Member
California
yagyujubei said:
HI, These babies are still very young, and there may be nothing at all to worry about, but I have a 5" one with the same condition, and was told MBD. Your uvb seems close to me, is it flourescent? I have read that these aren't the best.Calcium - d3 or not? Perhaps their diet needs tweaking. Not much fiber there. Personally, I am not a fan of the salad diet. Can you find opuntia locally? What's the temp? I never let mine get below 80. I think that vigilance can prevent problems from escalating, but I am somewhat obsessive about these things.

it is a fluorescent...plain Ca. I do feed occasional opuntia and sprinkle finely chopped Timothy hay on "salad." Temp is 90 ish in hot spot...80 in cooler spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.