Is this fungus or growth?

Nic

I have a young redfoot that is under a year old...is the attached picture new growth or fungus on the shell?

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nic

Ok I've updated the substrate with dryer materials and also cleaned/swabbed the affected areas with anti fungal ointment...anything else I should do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 35

Nic

Nope all good on the bottom just the top of the shell...Shelldon is very spoiled and this new development is no fun I'm sure!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Wiping the areas with an anti fungal cream wouldn't hurt...and may help.
It would have no harmful effects.
I've been touting the "dollar store" athletes foot cream. Same active ingredient...

Turtlepete

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Honestly, the whole shell looks very dry and flaky. The terrarium really needs to be fully enclosed. Are the temps and humidity high enough? Swapping out your substrate won't do anything. The carapace isn't in contact with the substrate anyways. Keep the humidity high, clean the areas with some betadine and a tooth brush and apply a little bit of clotrimazole cream. No big deal. I've actually experimented using Extra-virgin cold-pressed coconut oil (there is a thread about this on here somewhere which inspired me to try it) with stuff like this. Might be worth a shot.